About This Chapter
Science & Technology in Consumer Products- Chapter Summary
Become comfortable with material on science and technology in consumer products with the help from the lessons in this chapter. Our professional instructors will walk you through material such as GMO's and chemicals in household products. The following concepts will be reviewed in this chapter:
- Use of common household chemicals
- Wide-area wireless communication such as satellites and WiMAX
- Information about Malus's Law
- How to improve the quality of water
- Benefits and consequences of pesticides
- Understand the relationship between herbicides and the impact on farming
- Examples of medical terminology
Did you know that this chapter is mobile friendly? You can study anywhere and at any time, as long as you have a reliable internet connection and a mobile friendly device such as a tablet or smartphone. Having the flexibility to study where and when you can allows you to fit studying into your busy schedule. Some of the resources are even printable, so you can study offline as well.
1. Chemicals Found in Household Products
Chemicals sound scary, but they're all around us. Learn about some of the most common household chemicals and how they're used. Demonstrate what you've learned with a quiz.
2. Wide-Area Wireless Communication: Microwave, Satellite, 3G, 4G & WiMAX
Wide-area wireless communication travels large distances, from several kilometers to thousands of kilometers. Learn how much of the world's communication uses microwaves in cellular networks, WiMAX and satellite communications.
3. Polarization of Light & Malus's Law
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what polarization of light is, list a number of examples of how polarization of light is used, state Malus's Law, and use it to solve problems involving the intensity of light through a polarizer.
4. Water Treatment: Improving Water Quality
In this lesson, you will learn how water is purified for drinking, and how wastewater is treated before being put back into the environment. You will also learn about water purification issues in developing countries.
5. Use of Pesticides: Benefits and Problems Associated with Pesticides
Pesticides are used worldwide to manage agricultural pests. They kill and repel unwanted pests, but also cause many human deaths each year. This lesson explores the widespread use of pesticides in agriculture and compares the benefits and problems associated with these helpful but dangerous chemicals.
6. GMOs: Growing Herbicide-Resistant Crops
Crops resistant to herbicides have revolutionized farming. In this lesson, learn how these crops were created and some of the benefits and risks of using them.
7. Medical Technology: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, learn what medical technology is and be able to list many examples of diagnosis and treatment medical technology, both simple and complex.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards