About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Waves chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the waves topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- What waves are
- Types of waves
- How energy and motion affect vibrations and waves
- Transverse and longitudinal waves
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Waves: Types & Definition
Examine the different types of waves and what parts of our daily lives are affected by waves, from the ocean to the microwave to sound. Explore how waves are measured and classified.
2. Vibrations and Waves: Energy and Motion
What is a wave? What causes waves, and how do they travel from one place to another? This lesson will guide you through the basics of waves. We'll discuss their origins from vibrations and investigate how they carry energy through a medium.
3. Transverse & Longitudinal Waves: Definition & Examples
What comes to mind when you think of a wave? Chances are your mental image takes the form of a transverse wave. But, longitudinal waves are just as important, and understanding the difference is vital to learning about waves. In this lesson, explore both types of waves and the unique characteristics of each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Sound and Light: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 1.2: Properties of Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.1: Sound Waves and Hearing
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.2: Interactions of Sound Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.3: Sound Technology
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.1: The Electromagnetic Spectrum
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.2: Interactions of Light
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.3: Mirrors and Lenses
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.4: Light Waves and Sight
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.5: Light Technology