About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Properties of Waves chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the properties of waves topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- To define the parameters of a wave
- To understand amplitude, frequency and energy loss
- How wavelength is calculated
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Wave Parameters: Wavelength, Amplitude, Period, Frequency & Speed
How do we measure and describe waves? How do waves differ based upon their shapes? This lesson will guide you through the five wave parameters - period, frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and speed - that we use to characterize waves.
2. Energy of Waves: Amplitude, Frequency & Energy Loss
What gives a wave its energy? In this lesson, we'll learn about amplitude and frequency, and how they relate to wave energy. We'll also learn about how waves lose energy through spreading.
3. How to Calculate Wavelength
Discover practical examples of waves and the significance of wavelength. Learn the relationship of wavelength, frequency, and wave speed, as well as how to calculate wavelength based on these parameters.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Sound and Light: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 1.1: Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.1: Sound Waves and Hearing
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.2: Interactions of Sound Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.3: Sound Technology
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.1: The Electromagnetic Spectrum
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.2: Interactions of Light
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.3: Mirrors and Lenses
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.4: Light Waves and Sight
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.5: Light Technology