About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Interactions of Sound Waves chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the sound waves topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How matter and sound interact
- To differentiate between constructive and destructive interference
- How waves are transmitted and the definition of resonance
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How Do Sound and Matter Interact?
Learn how sound and matter are related and what happens when a sound wave reaches a new material. Also discover how absorption and reflection of sound can be useful. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Constructive and Destructive Interference
What happens when one wave meets another? Do the waves converge to make one giant wave? Or, do they destroy each other? In this lesson, we'll explore the workings of wave interference.
3. Resonance: Definition & Transmission of Waves
This lesson describes how sound and light waves are affected by the principle of resonance. Learn how resonance occurs through the vibrations and resonant frequencies of objects. You'll investigate everyday examples of resonance and learn how to break a wine glass with your voice!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Sound and Light: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 1.1: Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 1.2: Properties of Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.1: Sound Waves and Hearing
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.3: Sound Technology
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.1: The Electromagnetic Spectrum
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.2: Interactions of Light
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.3: Mirrors and Lenses
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.4: Light Waves and Sight
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.5: Light Technology