About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Electromagnetic Spectrum chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the electromagnetic spectrum topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Definition of electromagnetic waves
- Segments of the electromagnetic spectrum
- Definition and nature of light
- The effects and definition of solar radiation
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources & Properties
In this lesson, learn the basics of electromagnetic waves and how they make up the electromagnetic spectrum. We will explore the major trends and categories within the spectrum, as well as the various sources of electromagnetic waves.
2. The 7 Major Regions of the Electromagnetic Spectrum
This lesson will walk you through each of the major regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Explore the unique characteristics of X-rays, microwaves, radio waves, UV rays, infrared, gamma rays, and of course, visible light.
3. What is Light?
This lesson will define and describe what light is from both technical and more common-use perspectives, discuss what the different kinds of light are, and explain why it's called radiation.
4. The Nature of Light: Origin, Spectrum & Color Frequency
This lesson introduces the basics of visible light and color. Learn how the visible light spectrum is divided into the six color ranges. We'll also discuss why different people name colors in different ways.
5. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Sound and Light: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 1.1: Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 1.2: Properties of Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.1: Sound Waves and Hearing
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.2: Interactions of Sound Waves
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 2.3: Sound Technology
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.2: Interactions of Light
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.3: Mirrors and Lenses
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.4: Light Waves and Sight
- ScienceFusion Sound and Light Unit 3.5: Light Technology