About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Structure of the Universe chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the universe's structure topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Definition of the universe
- The makeup of our solar system
- How a galaxy is defined
- The speed of light
- The definition for a light-year
- Kinds of galaxy clusters
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Solar System, Galaxy, & Universe: Definitions & Difference
Want to learn what the universe, galaxy, and solar system are as well as some cool facts about each one? This lesson will give you an overview of what these three things are in a relatable fashion.
2. The Speed of Light: Distance & Light-Years
This lesson will tell you what the speed of light is, what a light year is, what lookback time is, and why it is that we see many objects in space as they were a long time ago.
3. What Are the Different Types of Galaxy Clusters?
This lesson will define five different types of clusters: rich, poor, irregular, regular, and superclusters. We'll also find out what voids are and what the Local Group is.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Space Science: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.2: Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.3: Life Cycle of Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.1: Historical Models of the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.2: Gravity in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.3: The Sun
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.4: The Terrestrial Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.5: The Gas Giant Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.6: Small Bodies in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.1: Earth's Days, Years & Seasons
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.2: Moon Phases & Eclipses
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.3: Earth's Tides
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.1: Images From Space
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.2: Technology for Space Exploration
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.3: History of Space Exploration