About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Historical Models of the Solar System chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the historical models of the solar system topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- An overview of our solar system
- Different models of the universe
- Copernican Revolution
- Galileo's influence
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
2. Geocentric, Heliocentric & Ptolemaic Models of the Universe
This lesson will lay out for you how ancient Greek philosophers came up with their models of the universe,. We'll also look at who Ptolemy was and what he contributed, and whether or not the Greeks were correct.
3. The Copernican Revolution
This lesson will discuss a famous astronomer by the name of Nicolaus Copernicus, his early history, his revolutionary idea, and why his model of the universe was actually wrong.
4. Galileo, the Telescope & the Church
This lesson explores the contributions of Galileo to modern science. It examines his early steps toward a scientific method, his work on falling bodies and, of course, his astronomical discoveries. Finally, the Church's reaction to these discoveries is explored.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Space Science: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.1: Structure of the Universe
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.2: Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.3: Life Cycle of Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.2: Gravity in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.3: The Sun
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.4: The Terrestrial Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.5: The Gas Giant Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.6: Small Bodies in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.1: Earth's Days, Years & Seasons
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.2: Moon Phases & Eclipses
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.3: Earth's Tides
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.1: Images From Space
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.2: Technology for Space Exploration
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.3: History of Space Exploration