About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Sun chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the sun topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The sun's distance from Earth, temperature and radius
- The sun's outer and inner layers
- How the sun's energy is emitted
- To understand and explain sunspots
- To describe solar flares, prominences and coronal mass ejections
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Sun: Atmosphere & Facts
This lesson will go over what the three layers of our sun's atmosphere are, the sun's surface temperature, chemical composition, radius, and distance from Earth.
2. Structure of the Sun
Discover the layers of the sun, including the core, radiative zone, convective zone, photosphere, chromosphere, and corona. Find out which layers you can see from Earth. Investigate what sunspots and solar flares are.
3. How Energy Moves Within the Sun
This lesson will describe how energy is carried from the inner reaches of the Sun, through the radiative zone, then the convective zone, and finally into space.
4. What Are Sunspots?
This lesson will describe for you what sunspots are, where they appear, what parts they have, and why they're dark. It also discusses what differential rotation and a sunspot cycle are.
5. Solar Flares, Solar Prominences & Coronal Mass Ejections
This lesson will go over three events caused by magnetic interactions in our Sun. They are prominences, flares, and coronal mass ejections. We'll also touch base on how the latter two can affect life on Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Space Science: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.1: Structure of the Universe
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.2: Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.3: Life Cycle of Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.1: Historical Models of the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.2: Gravity in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.4: The Terrestrial Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.5: The Gas Giant Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.6: Small Bodies in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.1: Earth's Days, Years & Seasons
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.2: Moon Phases & Eclipses
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.3: Earth's Tides
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.1: Images From Space
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.2: Technology for Space Exploration
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.3: History of Space Exploration