About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Small Bodies in the Solar System chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the small bodies in the solar system topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The difference between planets and dwarf planets
- To understand the Kuiper belt, plutinos and other trans-Neptunian objects
- To understand and differentiate between asteroids, meteorites and comets
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Dwarf Planets of the Solar System: Pluto, Eris, Haumea & Ceres
Discover why Pluto had to leave the league of planets and was downgraded to a dwarf planet. Learn the definitions for planet and dwarf planet. Find out about the currently classified dwarf planets in our solar system: Pluto, Eris, Ceres, Haumea and Makemake.
2. What Are Trans-Neptunian Objects?
This lesson will discuss trans-Neptunian objects, the Kuiper belt, Kuiper belt objects, dwarf planets, and plutinos, as well as where they are found in our solar system.
3. Asteroids, Meteorites & Comets: Definitions and Characteristics
This lesson will cover the definitions and characteristics of asteroids, comets and meteorites. It will also explore what impact they have had on Earth and the impact they might have in the future.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Space Science: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.1: Structure of the Universe
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.2: Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.3: Life Cycle of Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.1: Historical Models of the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.2: Gravity in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.3: The Sun
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.4: The Terrestrial Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.5: The Gas Giant Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.1: Earth's Days, Years & Seasons
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.2: Moon Phases & Eclipses
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.3: Earth's Tides
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.1: Images From Space
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.2: Technology for Space Exploration
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.3: History of Space Exploration