About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Moon Phases & Eclipses chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the moon phases and eclipses topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The names of the moon's phases
- How the moon's phases are created
- To identify and explain a partial, total and penumbral lunar eclipse
- To explain a partial and total solar eclipse and the accompanying effects
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Moon Phases: Names & Sequence
This lesson will go over the phases of the moon. The full moon, new moon, waxing, waning, and gibbous phases and the order in which they occur and what they look like are discussed.
2. How Earth & the Sun Affect the Phases of the Moon
This lesson will describe how the moon, Earth, and sun combine to form the phases of the moon. We'll also discuss the important concept of synchronous rotation.
3. Lunar Eclipse: Definition & Types
This lesson will teach you about the lunar eclipse. You'll learn the difference between a penumbral, partial, and total lunar eclipse, and see what totality means with respect to a total lunar eclipse.
4. What Is a Solar Eclipse?
This lesson will describe what a solar eclipse is, why it's possible, when a partial or a total one will occur, and what cool effects occur during one.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion Space Science: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.1: Structure of the Universe
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.2: Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 1.3: Life Cycle of Stars
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.1: Historical Models of the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.2: Gravity in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.3: The Sun
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.4: The Terrestrial Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.5: The Gas Giant Planets
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 2.6: Small Bodies in the Solar System
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.1: Earth's Days, Years & Seasons
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 3.3: Earth's Tides
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.1: Images From Space
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.2: Technology for Space Exploration
- ScienceFusion Space Science Unit 4.3: History of Space Exploration