About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the theory of evolution topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the science topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- The life and work of Charles Darwin
- Benefits and drawbacks of artificial selection
- Principles of Darwin's theories of evolution
- Lamarck's theory of acquired characteristics
- Malthus's theory on human population growth
- The process of natural selection
- Genetic variation and mutation
- Background extinction and mass extinction
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Charles Darwin: Voyages, Theories & Works
In this lesson we explore the life and voyages of the 19th-century British naturalist Charles Darwin and his formulation of the theory of natural selection.
2. Artificial Selection in Evolution
Humans have been selectively breeding for desirable traits in plants and animals for a long time. This artificial selection allows for a lot of control in the breeding process but can also lead to unintended mutations within a population of organisms.
3. Theories of Evolution: Lamarck vs. Darwin
We'll look at the interplay between population genetics and environment. Are traits individually acquired or do entire populations evolve? The flying hamsters and a few other notable experiments will provide the answers.
4. Thomas Malthus' Theory of Human Population Growth
In this lesson, we will explore the ideas of Thomas Malthus and his predictions for the growth of the human population. We will also investigate if his predictions have come true or not.
5. How Darwin's Observations Showed the Process of Natural Selection
In this lesson, we will learn about the observations that led to the development of Darwin's theory of natural selection. We'll explore how natural selection happens and how this brings about genetic diversity.
6. What Is Genetic Variation? - Sources, Definition & Types
Natural selection is the process that drives evolution, but what drives natural selection? Genetic variation increases the genetic diversity in and among populations, allowing for new traits to become more or less prominent in the gene pool.
7. What Is Extinction? - Defining Background and Mass Extinction
In this lesson you'll discover what the term 'extinction' means as well as learn the two different types of extinction: mass extinction and background extinction. You will also discover how humans contribute to extinction events.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.1: Introduction to Living Things
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.3: Evidence of Evolution
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.4: The History of Life on Earth
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.5: Classification of Living Things
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.1: Archaea, Bacteria, & Viruses
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.2: Protists & Fungi
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.3: Introduction to Plants
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.4: Plant Processes
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.5: Introduction to Animals
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.6: Animal Behavior