About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion The History of Life on Earth chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the history of life on Earth topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the science topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Divisions in the geologic time scale
- Events from the Precambrian period
- Timeline of the Paleozoic Era
- Mesozoic Era characteristics and events
- Events and time periods of the Cenozoic Era
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Geologic Time Scale: Major Eons, Eras, Periods and Epochs
The geologic time scale is an essential tool for understanding the history of Earth and the evolution of life. In this lesson, explore the principal eons, eras, periods, and epochs that help us track major events in geologic history.
2. The Precambrian Period: Events & Facts
The earth as we know it today is shaped by what happened during the Precambrian period, which covers four billion years! This lesson covers the events that shaped this important period.
3. The Paleozoic Era: Definition, Timeline & Events
The Paleozoic Era spans almost 200 million years from 542 to 251 million years ago. It is defined by great explosion of life at the beginning of the era and ends with the largest mass extinction in the history of our planet. This lesson will cover the important features of Paleozoic Era.
4. The Mesozoic Era: Facts, Events & Timeline
The Mesozoic Era began 252 million years ago with the largest mass extinction in Earth's history and ended 66 million years ago with the asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs. This lesson will cover the important events that occurred during the Mesozoic Era.
5. The Cenozoic Era: Definition, Time Period & Facts
The Cenozoic Era spans the previous 65 million years of Earth's history, beginning with the extinction of flightless dinosaurs and continuing up to the present. This lesson covers the events that shaped the Cenozoic Era.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.1: Introduction to Living Things
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.2: Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.3: Evidence of Evolution
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.5: Classification of Living Things
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.1: Archaea, Bacteria, & Viruses
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.2: Protists & Fungi
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.3: Introduction to Plants
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.4: Plant Processes
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.5: Introduction to Animals
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.6: Animal Behavior