About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Archaea, Bacteria, & Viruses chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the archae, bacterium, and virus topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Characteristics of prokaryotes
- How bacteria reproduce
- The process of bacterial transformation
- Bacterial transduction and conjugation
- Virus structure
- The viral lifecycle
ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Evolution of Prokaryotes: Archaebacteria and Eubacteria
The first living organisms on Earth were bacteria. These small organisms still exist today and are responsible for many things. In this lesson, we will explore both ancient bacteria and true bacteria.
2. Binary Fission: Definition, Steps & Examples
Bacteria are all around you, some make you sick, some are helpful. This lesson will examine one way bacteria reproduce called binary fission. It will also give you some examples of bacteria you may encounter.
3. Bacterial Transformation: Definition, Process & Applications
DNA is all around you. So are bacteria. Did you know that those bacteria can pick up and use that DNA? In this lesson we will examine the process of transformation and how bacteria are able to make use of environmental DNA.
4. Bacterial Transduction: Definition, Process & Advantages
Genetic diversity allows organisms to adapt to changing environmental conditions. In this lesson, we will explore bacterial transduction and how it allows bacteria to transfer genes and increase genetic diversity.
5. Bacterial Conjugation: Definition & Protocol
You probably didn't know that bacteria can engage in sexual reproduction. It is not what you think. In this lesson we will explore the process of bacterial conjugation and its impact on genetic variability in bacteria.
6. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
7. The Life Cycle of a Virus: How Viruses Live, Attack & Replicate
Find out how viruses infect and replicate as we explore the important steps of the virus life cycle, including attachment, uncoating, penetration, replication, and release, as well as the lysogenic and lytic cycles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.1: Introduction to Living Things
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.2: Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.3: Evidence of Evolution
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.4: The History of Life on Earth
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.5: Classification of Living Things
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.2: Protists & Fungi
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.3: Introduction to Plants
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.4: Plant Processes
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.5: Introduction to Animals
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.6: Animal Behavior