About This Chapter
How It Works
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Protists & Fungi chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the protists & fungi topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the science topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- How protists and fungi evolved
- How protists reproduce
- What gametes are, how they fuse and reproduce
- How to identify spores
- How to identify fungi
- The many types of fungi
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Evolution of Protists: Importance & Evolutionary History
Some organisms are very familiar. However, there are some that play vital roles in our lives that we don't even think about. We will look at a group of one of these unfamiliar kingdoms - protists.
2. Types of Protist Reproduction
Protists utilize a variety of asexual and sexual reproduction techniques. This lesson will help you understand and classify the different forms of protist reproduction.
3. Gametes: Definition, Formation & Fusion
Gametes are the cells that fuse together during sexual reproduction to form a new organism. This lesson covers what these cells are, what they do, and the end result of when they meet.
4. What Are Spores? - Definition & Types
Spores, for the most part, are units of asexual reproduction. They are produced by nonflowering plants, bacteria, fungi, and algae, and are often able to travel over long distances. Some bacteria also produce spores as a way to survive very harsh conditions.
5. What are Fungi? - Types and Characteristics
In this lesson, we will examine the group of organisms known as the fungi. This group includes the familiar organisms mushrooms, yeasts and molds. We will look at several major characteristics of fungi, as well as a few disease-causing fungi.
6. The Diversity of Fungi
The Fungi Kingdom is unique and quite diverse. In this video lesson, you'll learn about the different groups of fungi and see how fungi are much more than just mushrooms and molds!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.1: Introduction to Living Things
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.2: Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.3: Evidence of Evolution
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.4: The History of Life on Earth
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 1.5: Classification of Living Things
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.1: Archaea, Bacteria, & Viruses
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.3: Introduction to Plants
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.4: Plant Processes
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.5: Introduction to Animals
- ScienceFusion The Diversity of Living Things Unit 2.6: Animal Behavior