About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion The Skeletal & Muscular Systems chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the skeletal and muscular systems topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the human anatomy topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Human skeleton overview and bone functions
- Connective tissues
- Bone tissue
- Pathologies of bone
- Joints and their structures
- Joint pathology
- Muscular system essentials
- Muscular injuries
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Overview of the Human Skeleton & the Functions of Bones
The human skeleton is the framework of the body. This frame is made up of 206 bones that do much more than let you stand up. Learn how your bones provide support, protection, movement and storage and one other function that is sure to surprise you!
2. Fibrous Connective Tissue: Function & Types
In this lesson, you'll learn about a specific type of connective tissue called fibrous connective tissue. You'll also discover the other specialized fibrous connective tissues: tendons, ligaments and fasciae.
3. What is Cartilage? - Definition, Types & Function
Cartilage is a strong, flexible type of connective tissue found within a body. Learn more about its structure and function, as well as the different types of cartilage connective tissue we have in our bodies.
4. Bone Tissue: Functions and Types
In this lesson, we will explore bone as a connective tissue. We will discuss the anatomy of bone, as well as the cell types which make up bone, including how bone is formed and broken down.
5. Major Pathologies of Bone
Bones can be affected by many diseases and disorders, which are caused by infections, cancer, genetic mutations, and nutritional deficiencies. In this lesson, you will learn about all the different types of bone diseases.
6. Fracture-Related Medical Terms
Bone fractures are very common and painful medical conditions. In this lesson, we will study the different types of fractures, as well as complications that can be caused by bone fractures.
7. Types of Joints & Joint Structures in the Body
Joints allow you to walk, run, turn your head, and tie your shoes, among many other things. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of joints and about the motion allowed by each type.
8. Joint Pathology
Joints in the human body are susceptible to many types of pathology. In this lesson, learn about all the things that can go wrong with your joints and how these pathologies are diagnosed and treated.
9. What Is the Muscular System? - Function & How Muscles Work in Groups
Ever feel overwhelmed when you look at all those muscles in your textbooks? Well, if you do, then maybe learning a little about their anatomy and organization and how they work together will help you sort through it all. In this lesson, learn about the muscle itself and how it works with others to help the muscular system function.
10. Muscular System: Injuries & Disorders
What is the muscular system? And what can affect it? Learn about some of the injuries and disorders that are possible for the muscular system, and see how to prevent them using varied exercise.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion The Human Body: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.1: Introduction to Body Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.3: The Circulatory & Respiratory Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.4: The Digestive & Excretory Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.5: The Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.6: The Reproductive System
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.1: The Immune System
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.2: Infectious Disease
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.3: Nutrition & Fitness