About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion The Circulatory & Respiratory Systems chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the circulatory and respiratory systems topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the human anatomy topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Parts of the circulatory system
- Components of the lymphatic system
- Lymphatic system disorders
- Heart anatomy
- Blood and its components
- Blood vessels
- Heart conditions and diseases
- Strokes and why they happen
- The airway and lungs
- Respiratory conditions and diseases
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
2. The Lymphatic System: Definition and Fundamental Components
This lesson will cover something known as the lymphatic system. You'll learn about bone marrow, lymph, the thymus, lymph nodes, spleen, and much more as we explore this critical component of your immune system.
3. Disorders of the Lymphatic System
Your lymphatic system helps to keep you healthy from foreign invaders like viruses and harmful bacteria. But when that system becomes compromised, so does your ability to mount a strong defense.
4. Anatomy of the Heart: Blood Flow and Parts
In this lesson, you will take a look inside the heart and identify the chambers and one-way valves that make up this vital organ. You will also follow along as we trace the flow of blood through the heart chambers.
5. Blood: Function & Components
You know your heart pumps blood through your blood vessels, but do you know why this is important? Learn why your blood must keep moving, as well as the things that make it up, like plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets.
6. Blood Vessels: Arteries, Capillaries & More
In this lesson, you will take a trip around the circulatory system and encounter the various blood vessels, including arteries, veins, and capillaries. Come along as we follow the path to every cell of your body.
7. Types of Heart Conditions and Diseases
Your heart muscle receives a rich blood supply from the coronary arteries. If the coronary arteries become blocked, it can result in coronary heart disease, angina, heart attack or congestive heart failure. Learn how these conditions get started.
8. What is a Stroke? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
A stroke is a reduction in blood flow to the brain. It is a major condition that can have devastating effects within the body. This article will address the symptoms that are experienced by patients as well as the causes of and treatments for strokes.
9. Gross Anatomy of the Airway and Lungs: Conducting & Respiratory Zones
The respiratory system includes the lungs as well as other organs that help to get oxygen into the blood and carbon dioxide out of the blood. The conducting zone of the respiratory system carries oxygen into the lungs and carbon dioxide out of the lungs. The respiratory zone is where oxygen and carbon dioxide move into and out of the blood.
10. Types of Respiratory Conditions & Diseases
Breathing is not always easy. Respiratory conditions can make it hard to catch your breath. Learn about all types of respiratory conditions, including the common cold, flu, pneumonia, asthma, cystic fibrosis, emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion The Human Body: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.1: Introduction to Body Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.2: The Skeletal & Muscular Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.4: The Digestive & Excretory Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.5: The Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.6: The Reproductive System
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.1: The Immune System
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.2: Infectious Disease
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.3: Nutrition & Fitness