About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion The Nervous & Endocrine Systems chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the nervous & endocrine systems topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the human anatomy topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Overview of the nervous system
- The brain's anatomy and function
- The spinal cord and its functions
- Vision and the eyes
- Hearing and the ears
- Taste, touch and smell functions
- Hormones and the endocrine system
- Feedback loops
- Endocrine and nervous disorders
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Nervous System Overview: Central & Peripheral
What happens in your nervous system when you react to stimuli? Did you know that the brain is sometimes uninvolved with reflexes? Find out the answer to these questions, and more, in this lesson on the human nervous system.
2. The Brain: Structure and Function
Your brain is in charge of telling the rest of your body what to do. Learn about the parts of your brain including the cerebrum, the cerebellum, the brain stem and the pituitary gland and how they help you live, play and grow.
3. Anatomy of the Spinal Cord: Function & Explanation
The spinal cord partners up with the brain to send information around the body as electrical signals. It tells the body what the brain wants and the brain what the body is feeling. This lesson explains how its structure helps accomplish this.
4. What is a Neuron? - Definition, Parts & Function
What are the parts of a neuron? You'll watch Neuron Garciaparra work up a sweat as he throws baseballs to demonstrate the structures and functions of the billions of neurons that reside in your body.
5. How Does Vision Work?
How do your eyes and brain work together to turn light into images? You'll learn about the working components of the eye and take a look at two theories of color perception.
6. Mechanics of Hearing & How the Brain Processes Sound
How do our ears transform sound into signals that our brains can process? In this lesson, you'll cover properties of sound waves and how they interact with key parts of the ear.
7. Taste, Touch & Smell: Proprioception & the Somatosensory System
How do taste, touch and smell work? Also, what is proprioception? Throughout this lesson, you'll get a detailed description on each of these remarkable senses.
8. Hormones: Definition, Function & Intro to the Endocrine System
This lesson introduces the endocrine system and provides a brief overview of each endocrine gland. It also provides the definition of hormones and describes their general function inside the body.
9. Feedback Loops in the Endocrine System
Your endocrine system regulates many important bodily functions. To do this, it relies on a constant source of information from chemical messengers in your body. This feedback is essential to proper cellular function, most of which goes on without you even noticing.
10. Disorders of the Endocrine System
Your endocrine system is an important part of your body because it produces and regulates hormones. When it doesn't work correctly, this can lead to serious problems with growth, mood, and more.
11. Major Types of Nervous System Diseases
Your nervous system is responsible for more than you probably realize. In this lesson we're going to discuss some of the major diseases that arise from nervous system abnormalities and dysfunctions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion The Human Body: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.1: Introduction to Body Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.2: The Skeletal & Muscular Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.3: The Circulatory & Respiratory Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.4: The Digestive & Excretory Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.6: The Reproductive System
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.1: The Immune System
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.2: Infectious Disease
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.3: Nutrition & Fitness