About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the ScienceFusion Immune System chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the immune system topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Kinds of pathogens
- The body's external and internal defenses
- Kinds of white blood cells
- Immunity types
- Immunodeficiency and autoimmune diseases
ScienceFusion is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Pathogens and Disease: Definitions, Types & Causes
There are many different types of pathogens and many problems they cause. This lesson will teach you about four main types of pathogens, examples of each, and what problems they cause.
2. The Body's Defense System: Internal & External Defenses
This lesson examines external and internal defense systems. Learn how your body defends itself both internally and externally with mucus, saliva, stomach acid, antibodies and more.
3. How the Human Immune System Works
Your immune system protects you against microorganisms that could make you sick. It is made up of an army of white blood cells that work together to recognize and destroy the bad guys. Learn how your immune system and immunizations work.
4. What is Immunity? - Definition & Types
This lesson will introduce immunity and define what immunity is and what it does. The lesson will also identify the different types of immunity and what they involve.
5. Vaccination and Immunotherapy
This lesson will discuss the basics of how diseases can be prevented or treated using our own immune system's components. We'll talk about vaccination and immunotherapy as well as some specific examples, such as the BCG vaccine, monoclonal antibodies, and more.
6. Effects of Compromised Immune System
Your immune system helps keep you healthy by protecting you from all sorts of diseases and other microscopic dangers. But when your immune system doesn't function properly, it has a hard time doing its job, and you're likely to get very sick.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ScienceFusion The Human Body: Online Textbook Help course
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.1: Introduction to Body Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.2: The Skeletal & Muscular Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.3: The Circulatory & Respiratory Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.4: The Digestive & Excretory Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.5: The Nervous & Endocrine Systems
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 1.6: The Reproductive System
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.2: Infectious Disease
- ScienceFusion The Human Body Unit 2.3: Nutrition & Fitness