About This Chapter
Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis - Chapter Summary
If you haven't touched on the basics of scientific data interpretation and analysis in a while, you may need to refresh your memory. That can be easily accomplished by reading through the lessons of this chapter. Major topics of discussion in these lessons include the following:
- Gathering measurements and accounting for scientific uncertainties
- Using practice problems to read scientific data tables
- Ascertaining the meaning of data charts and graphs
- Judging the validity of scientific arguments and claims
Cramming for a major assessment can wear you out, especially if you don't have the right tools. Not only do we give you proven tools but we also give you a study plan. Our arsenal of learning tools includes entertaining video lessons, well-structured text-based lessons, instructors available for questions, lesson quizzes, and chapter exams. You can use all of our tools as much as you like, and everything is available to you 24/7.
The basic study plan includes taking full advantage of our structure. We use chapters to organize related lessons, and we put related chapters into courses. The menu lets you see all of the chapter titles and lesson topics. Work through the lessons systematically, one after the other, or focus on the lessons you need to review. After you finish each lesson, make sure you understand everything by taking the lesson quiz.
1. Measurements & Uncertainty in Science
In this lesson, you will discover the importance of precision and accuracy in science while learning to make measurements. Also, you will understand how to perform calculations with measurements that conserve precision and limit uncertainty.
2. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
3. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
4. How to Evaluate Scientific Claims & Arguments
When you hear about the new scientific discovery, how can you be sure that it's true? Learn how to evaluate scientific claims and arguments, and then test your new skills with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- Florida & U.S. History
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Physical Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Basics of Space Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Life Science Classification & Life Cycles
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems
- Number Theory Concepts
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards