About This Chapter
Scientific Measurement Basics - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors explain the basic units of measurement, as well as the metric system and scientific notation. After completing these lessons, you should be able to:
- Understand laboratory measurement units and types
- Define the units and conversions of the metric system
- Identify significant figures and scientific notation
- Interpret tables of scientific data
- Practice interpreting scientific graphs and charts
- Explain the mean, median, and mode
The lessons in this chapter are short, to allow you to study in quick chunks on your schedule. You can access the lessons twenty-four hours a day and on any internet connected device. Use the lesson quizzes to check your progress and make sure you are understanding the material.
1. Understanding Laboratory Measurements: Units & Types
There are many different units that can be used for measurements. This may not only lead to incorrect data measurements, but also to confusion about which units are most appropriate. Therefore, a standard set of units is used for each type of measurement in the biology lab.
2. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
3. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
4. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
5. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
6. Mean, Median & Mode: Measures of Central Tendency
By describing the data using central tendency, a researcher and reader can understand what the typical score looks like. In this lesson, we will explore in more detail these measures of central tendency and how they relate to samples and populations.
7. How to Accurately Perform Basic Error Analysis
In this lesson, learn about the different types of error that can affect a measurement and how to correct for them. In addition, learn how to quantify the amount of error in a measurement, a process called error analysis.
8. Measurements & Uncertainty in Science
In this lesson, you will discover the importance of precision and accuracy in science while learning to make measurements. Also, you will understand how to perform calculations with measurements that conserve precision and limit uncertainty.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Physics (019): Practice & Study Guide course
- Process of Scientific Inquiry
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- History & Nature of Scientific Study
- Math for Physics
- Overview of Kinematics & Graphs
- Kinematics & Graphs
- Laws of Motion in Physics
- Forces in Physics
- Laws of Gravitation
- Linear Momentum in Physics
- Equilibrium and Elasticity
- Rotational Motion
- Oscillation & Simple Harmonic Motion
- Electrostatics in Physics
- Overview of Circuits
- Overview of Magnetism in Physics
- Overview of Waves & Sound
- Overview of the Physics of Light
- Wave Optics in Physics
- Work & Energy in Physics
- Fluids in Physics
- Thermodynamics in Physics Overview
- Modern & Nuclear Physics
- MTTC Physics Flashcards