About This Chapter
Scientific Vocabulary & Measurement - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a brief overview of scientific concepts and vocabulary words as well as the metric system. Find out such information as how quantities are represented, metric conversions and base and derived units making up the International System of Units, or SI units. Once you have completed your review of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Identify word parts and combinations of scientific terms
- List base and derived SI units
- Recognize prefixes and abbreviations of the metric system
- Make measurements and calculations using significant figures
- Describe how to convert units in the metric system
Experienced instructors make learning this information fun and engaging and can be contacted with any questions you might have about any topics addressed in these lessons. Access videos at any time, on any device, and even print lesson transcripts to create convenient reference tools. Use self-assessment quizzes to determine the depth of your knowledge and your readiness in moving from one lesson to the next.
1. Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Learning science presents a unique set of challenges for students. In this lesson, learn the tricks of the trade as we discuss scientific vocabulary and other science study skills.
2. Elements of the SI: Base & Derived Units
Discover what we mean by SI units. Then explore SI units further by learning about all the base units, and several examples of the derived units that make up the system.
3. Metric System Prefixes & Abbreviations
Learning about the metric system may seem overwhelming. This lesson provides hints to help you master the metric system's prefixes and abbreviations quickly. Mass, volume, and length units are used to demonstrate the prefixes and abbreviations.
4. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
5. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GCSE Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Process of Scientific Thinking
- Steps of the Scientific Method
- Analyzing & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Mathematics in Science
- Cell Structure & Differentiation
- Understanding Cell Division
- Understanding Cell Transportation
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Structure & Function of the Digestive System
- The Human Circulatory System
- Non-Communicable Diseases Overview
- Communicable Disease Overview
- Disease Defense, Prevention & Treatment
- Plant Tissues & Organs
- Plant Disease & Defenses
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Human Nervous System Overview
- Hormones in the Endocrine & Urinary Systems
- Hormones & Reproduction
- Plant Hormones
- Sexual & Asexual Reproduction
- DNA Structure & Genomes
- Genetic Inheritance
- Genetics Disorders
- Genetic Variation & Evolution
- Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- Theories of Biology
- Evidence Supporting Evolution
- Classification of Living Organisms
- Ecology & Biodiversity
- Trophic Levels & Biomass Energy
- Nutrient Cycles in an Ecosystem
- Human Impacts on Biodiversity & Ecosystems
- Food Production & Sustainability
- GCSE Biology Flashcards