About This Chapter
Second Derivatives - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Our experienced instructors will help you take your understanding of derivatives to the next level as you learn to calculate and graph second derivatives. Watch the videos, try the calculations yourself, then take the quiz to see what you have learned. In this chapter you'll learn things like:
- How to find a second derivative
- The relationship between concavity/inflection points and differentiation
- How to interpret concavity and inflection points on a graph
|Finding the Second Derivative: Formula and Examples||Learn the formula and method for calculating second derivatives.|
|Understanding Concavity and Inflection Points with Differentiation||Concave up or down? Use the second derivative to find out.|
|Concavity and Inflection Points on Graphs||Learn more about those cups and frowns on graphs.|
1. Understanding Concavity and Inflection Points with Differentiation
Put a little more meaning behind those cups and frowns. In this lesson, use the second derivative of a function to determine if it is concave up or concave down.
2. Concavity and Inflection Points on Graphs
You might not think of a cup when you think of an awesome skateboard ramp. But I'm sure a really bad ramp would give you a frown, right? Learn about cups and frowns in this lesson on concavity and inflection points.
3. Finding the Second Derivative: Formula & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the two-step process involved in finding the second derivative. Also, look at some examples to get your feet wet before jumping into the quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Calculus AB: Exam Prep course
- Graph Basics
- The Basics of Functions
- How to Graph Functions
- Limits of Functions
- Continuity of Functions
- Understanding Exponentials & Logarithms
- Using Exponents and Polynomials
- Properties of Derivatives
- The Derivative at a Point
- The Derivative as a Function
- Using Derivatives
- Computing Derivatives
- Properties of Definite Integrals
- Applications of Integrals
- Using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
- Understanding & Applying Integration Techniques
- Approximating Definite Integrals
- Using a Scientific Calculator for Calculus
- About the AP Calculus Exam
- AP Calculus AB Flashcards