About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Securities Markets and Business chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Trading and marketing securities|| A look at the methods people can use to increase their wealth; |
Trading stocks through brokers and exchanges
|Tuesday||Stocks and bonds to raise capital|| A description of common and preferred stocks; |
The issuance of secured, unsecured, term and serial bonds
|Wednesday|| Bond financing; |
Indicators and market conditions
| An explanation of why businesses issue bonds; |
Predicting stock market trends through economic indicators
|Thursday||Investment opportunities in stocks and bonds||The definition and characteristics of securities|
|Friday||Investment opportunities in mutual funds and exchange-traded funds||The pros and cons of investing in mutual funds|
1. Securities Markets and Investment Bankers
Securities markets and investment banks provide opportunities for companies to obtain capital and people to make investments to increase their wealth. In this lesson, you'll learn about securities markets and the players involved.
2. Trading Securities on the Stock Exchange
Stocks are traded all over the world seven days a week, 24 hours a day on stock exchanges located in the world's financial capitals, such as New York, London, Tokyo and Hong Kong. In this lesson, you'll learn how stocks are traded.
3. Selling Stock to Raise Capital
One method a business can use to raise funds is selling stock to potential investors. In this lesson, you'll learn about raising capital through the sale of stock, including its advantages and disadvantages.
4. How Indicators Influence Market Conditions
The stock market offers an opportunity for investors to accumulate a significant degree of wealth. Investors often use tools called indicators to help them make investment decisions. In this lesson, you'll learn about these tools.
5. Investment Opportunities in Stocks and Bonds
Investors often turn to the stock and bond markets when investing their money. Each market offers opportunities and risks for the individual investor. In this lesson, we'll explore the nature of these investments.
6. Investment Opportunities in Mutual Funds and Exchange-Traded Funds
Investing in the stock market is not limited to individual stocks. Investors can also invest in mutual funds and exchange-traded funds. In this lesson, you'll learn about these opportunities, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
7. Bonds: Types, Characteristics and Issuing Procedures
In this lesson, you will learn about some of the more common types of bonds and their characteristics. Bonds include: secured and unsecured bonds, term and serial bonds, registered and bearer bonds, and convertible and callable bonds.
8. The Advantages of Bond Financing
This lesson introduces you to the basics of bond financing, important vocabulary related to bond financing, and the financial advantages to the bond issuer. You will learn why bond issuances are a great way for companies to fund large projects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Business Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- The Dynamic Business Environment Lesson Plans
- Ethical Behavior in Business Lesson Plans
- Economics & Business Lesson Plans
- Global Markets & Trade Lesson Plans
- Business Ownership Types Lesson Plans
- Entrepreneurship & Small Business Lesson Plans
- Managing & Leading in Business Lesson Plans
- Business Leadership Styles Lesson Plans
- Organizational Management Lesson Plans
- Business Production & Operations Lesson Plans
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation Lesson Plans
- Human Resources Basics Lesson Plans
- The Employer-Worker Relationship Lesson Plans
- Business Marketing Basics Lesson Plans
- Product Development & Retailing Lesson Plans
- Supply Chain Management Lesson Plans
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing Lesson Plans
- Product Promotion Lesson Plans
- MIS Basics Lesson Plans
- Information Technology Implications Lesson Plans
- Risk Management in Business Lesson Plans
- Accounting Basics Lesson Plans
- Financial Management Lesson Plans
- Money & Financial Institutions Lesson Plans