About This Chapter
Security Policies, Application Restrictions & Windows Firewall - Chapter Summary
Professional instructors created this chapter on Windows Firewall, security policies and application restrictions to give you an easily-accessible resource to study these topics. Here, you'll review the role of a firewall in network security, software restriction policies for Windows Server 2016 and how to implement Windows Firewall settings. If you struggle with any of the lessons, an expert is available to answer your questions via the dashboard. Before you move on, try answering the questions on the lesson quizzes or chapter test to see how well you do. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Define a firewall in network security and explain its role and its use
- Outline the features and functions of firewalls in network security
- Discuss the applications for software restriction policies for Windows Server 2016
- Give an overview of the firewall for Windows Server 2016
- Configure and implement Windows Firewall settings
- Use Windows Firewall advanced security console for Windows Server 2016
1. What is a Firewall in Network Security? - Role & Use
The network firewall is an important piece of equipment that protects your network from hackers and other cyber criminals. Its use is essential if your business is connected to the Internet, and it's highly recommended for residential users too.
2. Firewalls in Network Security: Features & Functions
Firewalls operate as a type of fence to protect what's coming into and leaving your network. In this lesson, you'll learn more about their functionality and some features that are common in today's firewalls.
3. Software Restriction Policies for Windows Server 2016: Overview & Applications
In this lesson, we will review the role of Software Restriction Policies and how to implement these policies in Windows Server 2016. We will also discuss enforcing restrictions, configuring rules, and Trusted Publishers properties.
4. AppLocker in Windows Server 2016: Rule Types & Uses
In this lesson, you'll learn about the use of AppLocker in Windows Server, how it works and its rule types. We'll also be exploring the ways to create different types of AppLocker rules within the Group Policy Management Editor using the AppLocker tool.
5. Firewall for Windows Server 2016: Overview & Settings
Windows Server 2016 has a firewall called 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security'. This lesson will cover how to access the firewall and the settings available.
6. Implementing & Configuring Windows Firewall Settings in Windows Server 2016
This lesson explains the settings of the Windows Server 2016 Firewall program. It describes how to use the panel interface to customize the settings for the domain, private, and public profiles, and other settings to control the application.
7. Using Windows Firewall Advanced Security Console for Windows Server 2016
In this lesson, you will learn how to configure various aspects of the Windows Firewall using the Advanced Security Console including configuring profile settings, creating, importing & exporting rules and configuring connection security rules.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 322: Windows Server Configuration course
- Windows Server 2016 Installation & Configuration
- Configuring Storage & Replication in Windows Server 2016
- File & Share Access in Windows Server 2016
- Installing & Configuring Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016
- Creating & Managing Active Directory Users & Computers in Windows Server 2016
- Active Directory Groups & Organizational Units in Windows Server 2016
- Configuring Network Services with IPv4 & IPv6 in Windows Server 2016
- DHCP & DNS Configuration & Deployment in Windows Server 2016
- Installing Windows Active Directory Domain Services in Windows Server 2016
- Ensuring High Availability in Windows Server 2016 Installations
- Clustering in Windows Server 2016
- Windows Containers in Windows Server 2016
- Security Policies, Group Policies & User Account Control in Windows Server 2016
- Maintaining & Monitoring Windows Server 2016