About This Chapter
Sedation Nursing Actions - Chapter Summary
Our interesting chapter covers nursing actions for patients that need sedation that you can review at your convenience. These easy-to-follow, self-paced lessons cover such topics as intermittent and continuous sedation, therapeutic hypothermia and various levels of sedation. We designed this chapter to help you achieve the following:
- Outline the process of therapeutic hypothermia
- Explain the difference between continuous and intermittent sedation
- Detail the management of patients under minimal sedation
- Discuss the policies and procedures for moderate sedation
- Compare deep sedation to moderate and minimal sedation
- Identify potential complications during procedural sedation
You can review these learning tools on any mobile device or computer 24 hours a day, which makes a totally flexible and convenient study resource. With each lesson, we've included a multiple-choice self-assessment quiz to help keep you on track. Feel free to contact one of our expert instructors through the Dashboard if you have any difficulty as you move through the chapter.
1. Therapeutic Hypothermia: Indications & Process
When someone is successfully resuscitated after having a myocardial infarction, their care does not stop there. There are several measures used in post-cardiac care. In this lesson, we will define therapeutic hypothermia, its indications, and the steps involved when it is used.
2. Intermittent vs. Continuous Sedation
Nurses are able to administer physician ordered medications for the sedation of patients to tolerate medical procedures. In this lesson, we will learn about sedation. We will also learn the difference between intermittent and continuous sedation.
3. Minimal Sedation: Indications & Patient Management
Sedation is used in healthcare to ensure patient's comfort with different procedures. In this lesson, we will focus on minimal sedation. We will learn about when it is indicated and nursing management of minimal sedation.
4. Moderate Sedation: Definition, Policy & Guidelines
In this lesson we will discuss what qualifies as moderate sedation, policies for it, as well as some guidelines when performing it. We will also briefly touch on the possible complications.
5. Deep Sedation: Indications & Patient Management
There are different levels of sedation that are used in healthcare for varying reasons. In this lesson, we will learn about deep sedation, when it is needed and nursing management of patients under deep sedation.
6. Procedural Sedation: Monitoring & Complications
In this lesson, you'll learn about procedural sedation, its adverse effects, and common agents used to achieve adequate sedation. You'll also learn the importance of identifying at-risk patients and dealing appropriately with adverse effects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing