About This Chapter
Sedimentary & Metamorphic Rocks - Chapter Summary
Check out these engaging and informative earth science lessons to learn basic information about sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. As you follow along with our expert instructors, you'll closely examine topics like metamorphism, lithification, rocks origins, rock classifications and much more. When you're finished with each lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to reinforce your understanding of important rock vocabulary and concepts. The chapter is accessible at any time of day or night, and you can use any computer or mobile device to study. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize the different types of sediment
- Differentiate between chemical and detrital sedimentary rocks
- Explain lithification processes
- Determine a sedimentary rock's origin
- Describe the process of rock metamorphism
- Classify metamorphic rocks
- Evaluate the differences between regional and contact metamorphism
1. Sediment: Definition, Types & Features
Sediment is fragments of past living or non-living materials that have been broken down. There are three types of sediments that can form sedimentary rocks. Learn about clastic, biogenic and chemical sediments and the rocks they form in this lesson.
2. Detrital & Chemical Sedimentary Rocks: Definition & Differences
Detrital or clastic sedimentary rocks are composed of rock fragments. They are different than chemical sedimentary rocks, which are composed of mineral crystals. Learn how these sedimentary rocks differ in their formation and composition.
3. Lithification of Sediments: Definition & Processes
Lithification is the process that turns loose, unconsolidated sediment into solid sedimentary rock. Learn about the three ways lithification is accomplished, including compaction, cementation and recrystallization, in this lesson.
4. Determining the Origin of a Sedimentary Rock
Sedimentary rocks contain features that indicate the kind of environment from which they originated. Learn about sedimentary structures, such as graded bedding, cross-bedding, ripple marks and mud cracks, and how they provide clues to the rocks origin in this lesson.
5. Metamorphism of Rocks: Definition, Process & Influencing Factors
Exposure to intense heat and pressure can result in the metamorphism of previously formed rocks. Learn about the factors that influence metamorphism and the metamorphic processes: recrystallization, neometamorphism and metasomatism in this lesson.
6. Classification of Metamorphic Rocks: Texture & Parent
Metamorphic rocks are classified by their texture, which is either foliated or non-foliated, and according to their parent rock. Learn about the different textures and parent rocks of metamorphic rocks.
7. Contact Metamorphism Vs. Regional Metamorphism: Definition & Differences
There are two types of metamorphism involved in the creation of metamorphic rocks. In this lesson, you'll learn the definitions of and differences between contact metamorphism and regional metamorphism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Earth Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basic Earth Science Concepts
- Understanding Earth's History
- Understanding Geologic Time
- The Properties of Matter
- Overview of Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Overview of Minerals & Rocks
- Igneous Rocks Basics
- Weathering, Erosion & Wasting
- Geological Forms
- Water Balance
- Understanding Running Water
- Overview of Groundwater Systems
- Life Cycle of Glaciers
- Properties of Oceans
- Basics of Coastal Hazards
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Understanding Energy Resources
- UExcel Earth Science Flashcards