About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning to select and incorporate visual supports will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about selecting and incorporating visual supports. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the purpose and importance of visual aids during public speaking, the guidelines for keeping visual aids simple, and the pros and cons of using PowerPoint
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about public speaking (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn how to select and incorporate visual supports
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra public speaking learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Selecting and Incorporating Visual Supports Help and Review chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Selecting and Incorporating Visual Supports Help and Review chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about selecting and incorporating visual supports. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answer to questions including:
- What are copyright and fair use?
- What types of visual aids are available?
- How can I prepare visual aids in advance of presenting a speech?
1. Visual Aids in Public Speaking: Importance, Purpose, and Audience Considerations
Giving a speech can be nerve-wracking, and it might seem easy to just skip the visual aids. In this lesson, we'll discuss why that's a bad idea, why visual aids are important, and what elements make a great visual aid.
2. Types of Visual Aids Used in Public Speaking
Many people understand that visual aids can be helpful in public speaking. But what types of visual aids should a person choose? Watch this lesson for information on the types of visual aids and how to choose the best one.
3. Preparing Visual Aids for a Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help make your speech engaging and memorable. But, how do you prepare your visual aids for maximum impact? Watch this lesson to find out how to design and structure effective visual aids for your presentation.
4. Using Visual Aids During Your Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help your speech or presentation be even more successful. There are some important considerations when planning to use visuals. Watch this lesson to find out what to do before and during your speech to make your visuals effective.
5. Using PowerPoint for a Speech: Pros & Cons
It seems like every class or speech has PowerPoint slides with it these days. But is that always the right answer? In this lesson, we'll examine the pros and cons of using slideware, like PowerPoint, during your speech or presentation.
6. Formatting PowerPoint Slides for a Speech: Tips & Strategies
When giving a speech or presentation, many people choose to use PowerPoint or another slideware program. But, how should a person format the slides for greatest impact? Watch this video for tips on formatting PowerPoint slides for a speech.
7. Preparing to Deliver Your Speech with PowerPoint
After spending a lot of time making PowerPoint slides look good, many people forget that preparation is only the beginning. In this lesson, we'll look at tips for how to present a PowerPoint speech, including important slideshow commands.
8. Copyright and Fair Use: Implications for Public Speaking
Many people like to add images or quotes to help make their PowerPoint slides stronger. But what happens if the piece you want isn't yours? Watch this lesson for information on copyright issues for public speaking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Public Speaking 101: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Public Speaking: Help and Review
- Analyzing Your Audience: Help and Review
- Listening and Feedback: Help and Review
- Speech Topic, Purpose & Thesis: Help & Review
- Researching the Speech: Help and Review
- Organizing The Speech: Help and Review
- Outlining The Speech: Help and Review
- Language and Style: Help and Review
- Speech Delivery: Help and Review
- Types of Speeches: Help and Review
- Reasoning and Rhetorical Proof: Help and Review
- Speech Evaluation: Help and Review
- Preparing For an Impromptu Speech: Help and Review