About This Chapter
Selecting & Evaluating Academic Sources for Research Papers - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've put together a series of video lessons that help you understand how to select and evaluate academic sources for research papers. Just a few of the topics covered here include the definition of a peer-reviewed scholarly journal, finding reliable electronic references, and using search engines for online research. Along with each lesson, we've included a short, multiple-choice quiz you can use to check your understanding. If you need to go back and review any of the topics again, use the video tabs feature in the Timeline to skip to the section you need to see. We've created this chapter to ensure you're able to:
- Select and refine a research topic
- Give examples of academic sources
- Understand what constitutes a peer-reviewed scholarly journal
- Use search engines properly when conducting online research
- Find reliable electronic references databases and sources
- Evaluate and find sources for research
- Put your knowledge to practice by finding research sources
1. Selecting & Refining a Research Topic
Ever struggle to choose a topic for a research project? This lesson gives a simple five-step process to not only choosing a topic but refining it to an appropriate focus.
2. Academic Sources: Definition & Examples
Find out what academic sources are and what to look for if you're required to use them for research papers and essays. Complete the lesson, and take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
3. Peer Reviewed Scholarly Journal: Definition & Examples
Find out what peer-reviewed scholarly journals are and how to find them. Learn what qualities to look for in peer-reviewed journals and see some examples. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your knowledge.
4. Using Search Engines for Online Research
The Internet can be a resource that saves you time, but if you don't know how to use it properly, it can be a frustrating experience. In this lesson, you will learn about how to properly find supporting materials online with research tips and tricks.
5. Finding Reliable Electronic Reference Sources & Databases
Did you know that there are over a billion websites? Many of them have inaccurate or incomplete information. In this lesson, you will learn how to find solid information for your research online.
6. Finding & Evaluating Sources for Research
Not everything you read on the Internet is true. This video will help you navigate through different online sources and evaluate the validity of those sources to ensure that you can trust the information you use as part of your research.
7. Practical Application: Finding & Evaluating Sources for Research
The quality of research sources varies, and the need for quality information also varies between projects. However, there are some surefire winners and losers when it comes to good sources.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the English 204: English Composition I course
- Academic, Professional & Formal Writing
- Genre, Voice & Writing Style
- Analyzing Rhetoric in Writing
- Using Sources in Writing
- Stages of the Writing Process
- Writing Introduction Paragraphs
- Writing Body Paragraphs
- Writing Effective Conclusions
- Revising & Editing Academic Writing
- Paragraph & Sentence Structure
- Parts of Speech & Identifying Usage Errors in Sentences
- Spelling & Punctuation
- Preparing & Delivering Oral Presentations
- Creating PowerPoint Presentations
- Creating Photo Essays