About This Chapter
Selecting Resources for Literacy Instruction - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
When it comes to selecting resources for literacy instruction, it's important to select resources that are both appropriate and effective. In these lessons, you'll learn how to go through the appropriate procedures to select various resources for teaching literacy, such as books, textbooks, technology and online resources, and media resources. You can view these lessons at any time. This chapter will help you to understand the following information:
- How to examine various types of books and determine if they are suitable for literacy instruction
- Identify what makes teacher-made resources a good fit for teaching literacy
- How to decide on which media sources to use for literacy instruction.
|Evaluating Chapter & Picture Books for Literacy Instruction||Identify the actions that must be taken to assess chapter and picture books.|
|Selecting Textbooks for Literacy Instruction||Examine how to choose textbooks for literacy instruction.|
|Appraising Teacher-Made Materials for Literacy Instruction||Discover how to evaluate teacher-made materials for teaching literacy.|
|Evaluating Technology & Online Resources for Literacy Instruction||Analyze technology and online resources to determine if they are suitable for literacy instruction.|
|Reviewing Primary Sources for Literacy Instruction||Take a look at how to make sure primary sources are appropriate for teaching literacy.|
|Choosing Media Sources for Literacy Instruction||Learn how to select media sources for literacy.|
1. Evaluating Chapter & Picture Books for Literacy Instruction
How can literacy teachers evaluate books for their students to read? How can they choose the best picture and chapter books for their classroom? In this lesson, we'll answer these questions by looking at how to evaluate books' content and presentation.
2. Selecting Textbooks for Literacy Instruction
The process of choosing textbooks for a classroom can be an intimidating one. Let's take the stress out of selecting textbooks! We'll examine the types of literacy textbooks and criteria for selecting the best textbook for literacy instruction.
3. Appraising Teacher-Made Materials for Literacy Instruction
What happens when a teacher can't find the materials they need in a store? This lesson examines teacher-made materials, including common types, advantages, and how to create the most effective teacher-created materials for the classroom.
4. Evaluating Technology & Online Resources for Literacy Instruction
As many teachers know, using technology in the classroom is full of benefits and challenges. In this lesson, we'll examine using technology and online resources in the literacy classroom, including how to evaluate technology for classroom use.
5. Reviewing Primary Sources for Literacy Instruction
Handling primary sources is an important skill for students to develop. But how can teachers choose which primary sources to use? Watch this video to learn more about primary sources, including their benefits and how to evaluate them.
6. Choosing Media Sources for Literacy Instruction
Media and literacy can go hand-in-hand, creating an engaging classroom of learning. But, how can teachers choose the best media for their classroom? In this lesson, we'll examine media use in the literacy classroom, including criteria for choosing instructional media.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Education 102: Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School course
- Learning Processes & Theories
- Instructional Approaches
- Language Acquisition in the Classroom
- Beyond Oral Language Acquisition
- How Language & Culture Interact in the Classroom
- Strategies for Teaching Reading
- Identifying & Understanding Words
- Constructing Meaning
- Vocabulary Development
- Writing Development
- Approaches to Literacy Instruction
- Classroom Management for Literacy Instruction
- Responding to Student Needs
- Collaborations Outside of School
- Evaluation & Assessments in Education