About This Chapter
Selling Strategies - Chapter Summary
This online sales chapter breaks down many effective selling techniques/strategies through concise explanations and illustrative examples. Work through these fun and engaging lessons to learn techniques for consultative, suggestive, retail, cross, B2B and guided selling. Our expert instructors will also show you how to respond to price resistance, upsell and close sales. To help you solidify your understanding of these concepts, we've included lesson quizzes and a comprehensive chapter exam. Use the Ask the Expert feature if you have any questions, and when you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Utilize consultative sales techniques
- Explain the FABS, value-added and suggestive selling techniques
- Identify the needs and motivation of buyers through various questioning techniques
- Assist customers during the sales process
- Sell to multiple buyers at once
- Describe the process of retail selling
- Recognize examples of cross-selling
- Evaluate several retail and B2B sales strategies/techniques
- Assess the purpose of guided selling
- Respond to objections and price resistance in sales
- Use upselling to create additional revenue
- Close sales and provide ongoing service
1. Consultative Sales: Definition, Process & Techniques
What is a consultative sale? In this lesson you'll learn what it is, how it varies from the traditional transactional model, and when consultative selling techniques are best used.
2. FABS Selling Technique: Explanation & Example
Want to succeed at sales? Provide a FAB experience! In this lesson, we'll take a look at the FABS selling technique and how to use it to create a successful buying experience from start to finish.
3. Value-Added Selling Technique: Definition & Usage
In this lesson, you'll learn how you can use the value-added selling technique to help you gain and keep customers. Learn how you can position your product to make it attractive when using this approach.
4. Suggestive Selling Techniques for Telephone Customer Service
Companies are training their employees to incorporate suggestive selling techniques to increase sales and build relationships. This lesson will discuss what suggestive selling is, how it can increase sales, and techniques for suggestive selling when used in customer service.
5. Questioning Techniques to Identify Buyers' Needs & Motivations
When you are going in for the close, it is very important that you know the exact needs and motivations of your buyer. Read this lesson to learn what kinds of questions you can use to figure this out.
6. Techniques for Assisting Customers in the Selling Process
In this lesson, we'll explore how to assist customers in the selling process by looking at the practice of customer service and its associated techniques. Check out this lesson to learn about upselling, cross-selling, and product knowledge.
7. Strategies for Selling to Multiple Buyers at Once
A married couple walks into your store, contemplating making a major purchase. You're on deck and approach them--now what? In this lesson, we examine the challenges of working with more than one buyer in a deal.
8. What is Retail Selling? - Techniques & Process
The understanding of retail selling is important for any successful salesperson. It is a platform for growth in the sales industry. This lesson explains retail selling techniques and the retail selling process. You can then test your knowledge with a quiz!
9. Cross-Selling: Strategies & Examples
Cross-selling, whether in-person or online, is all about 'add-ons' to a consumer's purchase. In this lesson, we look at some strategies for effective cross-selling and some examples of companies doing it right.
10. Sales Strategies for Retail
Retailers must employ sales strategies to help differentiate themselves from competitors and generate profit. In this lesson, we will discuss how to utilize promotional pricing, how to display items appropriately, how to market products, and how to utilize online retail platforms.
11. B2B Sales Strategies & Tactics
Business-to-business (B2B) sales success depends on using proven sales strategies. In this lesson, we will discuss some of the strategies involved in a successful B2B sales process.
12. What is Guided Selling? - Definition & Examples
Have you ever wished for a personal shopper to make recommendations to you? With guided selling, you have a similar agent. In this lesson, we'll learn more about guided selling and see some companies implementing it.
13. Responding to Price Resistance & Objections in Sales
You're a salesperson in the showroom and your customer says, 'This is too expensive.' What happens next? In this lesson, we'll examine objection handling and how to turn stalls into sales.
14. Creating Additional Revenue Through Upselling
In this lesson, you'll learn some techniques you can use to help you upsell, as well as the ethical issues you need to keep in mind to make upselling a profitable option for you.
15. How to Close a Sale & Provide Ongoing Service
What's the most reliable way to close a sale with minimum drama? Work the sales process properly throughout the deal. In this lesson, we'll examine what steps you should be taking to make a sale and what to do afterwards.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Marketing 306: Principles of Selling course
- Selling to Businesses & Consumers
- Consumer Buying Behavior & Influences
- Business Buying Behavior & Influences
- Post-Sale Customer Relationship Management
- Communication Skills for Selling
- Sales Forecasts & Budgets
- Sales Force Management
- The Sales Planning Process
- Required Assignments for Marketing 306