About This Chapter
Sensory & Perceptual Development - Chapter Summary
The objective of this chapter is to improve your understanding of the sensory and perception system, its development and how it impacts the well-being and development of humans. Use the short, engaging lessons of this chapter to improve your understanding of:
- Parts and functions of the sensory system
- Elements of perceptual development
- How attention influences perceptual development
- Definition and examples of sensory adaptation
- Changes in sensory thresholds caused by aging
- How sensory deprivation can impact human development
- History and principles of sensory therapeutic environments
Each lesson can be completed on a desktop computer, laptop or an internet-ready mobile device. Likewise, you may test your understanding of the material online using the lesson quizzes. Review your quiz results to discover topics you don't understand and use the provided links to return to the parts of the lesson that explained those topics.
1. The Sensory System: Definition, Parts & Functions
This lesson will examine how the sensory systems are integrated and how they function as a whole. Instead of telling you ears hear and eyes see, we will examine how these systems are actually very similar in terms of reception, signals, and translations.
2. Perceptual Development in Infants
Why are some senses more developed than others for a newborn? You'll learn which senses are initially important for infants to bond with and recognize their mothers and which one is still in development after birth.
3. The Role of Attention in Perceptual Development
How does a child's perceptual development progress, and what is the role of attention in this process? This lesson will use examples to teach you about this relationship and walk you through the changes.
4. Sensory Adaptation: Definition & Examples
If you're like most people, you have probably experienced or observed sensory adaptation at some point. Learn how this mechanism works in everyday life and test your knowledge with a short quiz.
5. Aging and Sensory Perception: Changes in Sensory Thresholds
What are sensory thresholds? How does sensory perception change with age? This lesson will answer these questions and teach you even more about sensory changes in late adulthood.
6. Sensory Deprivation: The Impact on Human Development
What is sensory deprivation? What are its impacts on human development? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson, then test your knowledge with a quiz!
7. Therapeutic Environments: Definition, History & Principles
Therapeutic environments consist of more than just a hospital bed and random medical equipment. In this lesson, we'll learn about environments that are specifically designed to increase safety, reduce anxiety, and promote independence.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Understanding Human Development
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards