About This Chapter
Sensory, Perceptual and Language Development in Children and Adolescents - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter start by explaining the role of attention in perceptual development. You'll then learn about the Gestalt theory in relation to perceptual development in young people. Our instructors will lead you through the different stages of language development, including pre-linguistic and symbolic language in children.
The impact of sensory deprivation on human development is also covered in this chapter. Lessons conclude by studying the environmental and cultural influences on language development. You'll also learn about the nativist perspective of language acquisition. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to successfully:
- Understand the role of attention in perceptual development
- Define the Gestalt theory and its relation to perceptual development
- Recognize how sensory deprivation impacts development
- Memorize the stages of language development
- Name some effects of environment and culture on language development
- Apply the nativist perspective to language development theories
These online video lessons are short and engaging, with video tags that allow you to skip to major points in the chapter. Lessons are taught by expert instructors, and self-assessment quizzes are available to assist you in learning. Follow links in the text lessons to find key terms. You may also access lesson transcripts to read through the material presented in each chapter.
1. The Role of Attention in Perceptual Development
How does a child's perceptual development progress, and what is the role of attention in this process? This lesson will use examples to teach you about this relationship and walk you through the changes.
2. The Gestalt Theory and Perceptual Development
What does Gestalt mean, and why is it important to our perception? This lesson will discuss the Gestalt theory and explain how perception is affected by the concept of Gestalt.
3. Sensory Deprivation: The Impact on Human Development
What is sensory deprivation? What are its impacts on human development? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson, then test your knowledge with a quiz!
4. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
5. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
6. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE School Psychologist PK-12 (036): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology
- Psychology Research & Design Analysis
- Clinical Assessment in Psychology
- Developmental Psychology in Young People
- Individual Differences in Children
- Student Learning and Motivation
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Creativity and Intelligence Development in Children and Adolescents
- Social Development in Children and Adolescents
- Atypical Development in Children and Adolescents
- Classroom Teaching Strategies
- Biological, Social & Cultural Bases of Learning & Behavior
- Rules and Regulations in Education
- Evidence-Based Interventions
- FTCE School Psychologist PK-12 Flashcards