About This Chapter
Series & Sequences Application - Chapter Summary
Our instructors explain number sequences, series and sigma notation in this helpful chapter. Fun lessons review factorial notation and examples of appropriate times to use it. You'll learn the recursion formulas for algebraic, geometric and arithmetic sequences as well as how to find the sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers. Once you complete this chapter, you will be prepared to:
- Utilize summation notation to write shorter equations
- Identify real-life applications for exponential growth
- Use the general term of a geometric sequence correctly
- Calculate the sum of squares and interpret the results
- Solve example permutation and combination problems
Learning is flexible, fun and mobile-friendly with the video and text lessons presented here. Even the toughest topics are made easy with our short videos, and our multiple-choice quizzes help you make sure you understand the material before moving on. If you like to study offline, use the printable transcripts to review essential vocab words and concepts at your convenience.
1. Summation Notation: Rules & Examples
Did you know that the summation notation is also called the sigma notation? You will learn about this unique and simple notation in this lesson, along with how it helps you in writing shorter equations.
2. Exponential Growth: Definition & Examples
Exponential growth is growth that increases at a consistent rate, and it is a common occurrence in everyday life. In this lesson, learn about exponential growth and some of its real-world applications.
3. How to Use Factorial Notation: Process and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn about factorial notation. Understand what it means so that you can handle it like a pro. Also see what happens when we divide factorials.
4. How and Why to Use the General Term of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of a geometric sequence. You will learn how to write your own general term given a particular geometric sequence as well as the reason for doing this.
5. Using Recursive Rules for Arithmetic, Algebraic & Geometric Sequences
When dealing with sequences in math, both algebraic and geometric, we come across recursive rules. Watch this video lesson to learn how recursion works and how you can use a recursive rule to get to your next number using a previous number.
6. Sum of Squares: Definition & Application
In many situations, it is important to know how much variation there is in a set of measurements. One way to quantify this is to calculate the sum of squares. In this lesson, we'll learn how to calculate sum of squares and how to interpret the results.
7. Sum of the Cubes of the First n Natural Numbers
If you wanted to know the sum of the cubes of the first n natural numbers, you could find all the cubes and then add them all together. After the first few cubes, the numbers get large and time- consuming. There are shortcuts to finding this sum.
8. Permutation & Combination: Problems & Practice
In this lesson, we will practice solving various permutation and combination problems using permutation and combination formulas. We can continue our practice when we take a quiz at the end of the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Expressions & Reasoning in Math
- Complex Numbers & Polynomials in Algebra
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Working with Quadratic Functions Overview
- Mathematical Sequences & Series Overview
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Equations
- Binomial Theorem Overview
- Overview of Matrices & Determinants
- Sets & Relations in Math
- Introduction to Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Identities Overview
- Real World Trigonometric Applications
- Operating with Functions
- Solving Inequalities
- Two-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Straight Lines & Angles in Coordinate Geometry
- Circular Arc & Circles in Coordinate Geometry
- Conic Sections in Coordinate Geometry
- Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Limits & Continuity in Differential Calculus
- Calculating Derivatives
- Differentiable Functions & Min-Max Problems
- Differentiability in Integral Calculus
- Overview of Probability in Calculus
- Vectors & Scalars in Math
- Dispersion & Frequency Distributions in Statistics
- Linear Programming & Systems of Equations
- Definite Integrals
- Permutation & Combination
- Mathematical Modeling Overview
- BITSAT Exam - Math Flashcards