About This Chapter
Serving Alcoholic Beverages - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter cover the basics of bartending as well as proper alcoholic beverage serving methods. Through short lessons and interactive self-assessment quizzes, you'll be able to quickly identify common bartending tools, define bartending terminology and understand how to properly serve alcohol in the food service industry. For your convenience, we've made the chapter available at any time of day or night and accessible on any device that has an Internet connection. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Responsibly serve alcohol in restaurants and bars
- Identify basic bartending tools and supplies
- Understand fundamental bartending terminology
1. How To Serve Alcohol Responsibly
In this lesson, we'll briefly review the steps a food and beverage establishment can take to serve alcohol responsibly by ensuring that customers are of legal drinking age and are not served while intoxicated.
2. Bartending Basics: Supplies & Tools
A commercial bar must have a number of basic tools and supplies on hand to quickly and efficiently prepare customer orders. Quick service and minimal waste help a bar maintain profits.
3. Bartending Basics: Tips & Terminology
In this lesson we will review some of the common drink terminology used in a bar setting and how when combined with a few personal bartender tips, it results in customer satisfaction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 309: Food & Beverage Service & Operations course
- Intro to Food & Beverage Operations
- Feasibility Planning for the Restaurant Industry
- Marketing Fundamentals for Restaurants
- Menu Planning Basics
- Food & Beverage Costs & Purchasing
- Food & Beverage Pricing Methods
- Food & Beverage Storage
- Inventory Control for Food & Beverage Services
- Restaurant Food Production
- Food Preparation Basics
- Food Preparation Safety
- Types of Restaurant Service
- Restaurant Service Overview
- Restaurant Design & Equipment Selection
- Financial Management for Food Service
- Food & Beverage Industry Trends
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 309