About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other abnormal psychology work.
- Identify the sexual and gender identity disorders concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our abnormal psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about sexual and gender identity disorders and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding gender and sexual identity disorders, causes, treatments or any other sexual and gender identity disorders topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their sexual and gender identity disorders unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in abnormal psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about sexual and gender identity disorders simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about sexual and gender identity disorders on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Examine the phases and types of sexual dysfunction.
- Describe the current and historical views of sexual dysfunction.
- Take a look at the causes and treatment of desire disorders.
- Learn about the causes and treatment of excitement disorders.
- Define orgasm disorders and explore their causes and treatment.
- Explain the causes of sexual pain disorders and understand how they are treated.
- List the features of sex therapy.
- Describe the symptoms of different types of paraphilias.
- Understand the characteristics of pedophilia, voyeurism and frotteurism.
- Take a look at the characteristics of sexual sadism and masochism.
- Define gender identity disorder, and describe the social perceptions regarding gender dysphoria.
- Learn how gender identity disorder is treated.
1. What Is a Sexual Dysfunction? - Definition, Phases & Types
What happens when an otherwise healthy adult can't enjoy sex? In this lesson, we'll look at the four phases of sexual activity and sexual dysfunctions that can occur in each phase. In addition, we'll look at some common causes of sexual dysfunction.
2. Historical Perspectives of Sexual Dysfunctions
When otherwise healthy adults can't enjoy sex, they are suffering from a sexual dysfunction. Throughout history, there have been many different views of the types and causes of sexual dysfunction. In this lesson, we'll explore historical perspectives of sexual problems.
3. Desire Disorders: Definition, Causes & Treatment
Desire is a normal part of adult relationships. But what happens when someone loses all desire? In this lesson, we'll examine hypoactive sexual desire disorder, its symptoms, causes, and treatment.
4. Disorders of Excitement: Definition, Causes & Treatment
Sex is a normal part of adult life, but what happens when someone is not able to be physically aroused? In this lesson, we'll look closer at different types of excitement disorders, as well as their causes and treatments.
5. What Are Orgasm Disorders? - Definition, Causes & Treatment
Some people aren't able to reach orgasm, or they reach orgasm too quickly. What causes these things, and how are they treated? In this lesson, we'll look at the symptoms, causes, and treatment of orgasm disorders.
6. Sexual Pain Disorders: Definition, Causes & Treatment
Most healthy adults enjoy sex, but sometimes people experience pain during sex. In this lesson, we'll look closer at sexual pain disorders, their causes and their treatments.
7. What Is Sex Therapy? - Definition and Features
Sex is a normal part of adult life, but sometimes people have issues with sex. Where can people turn when they have sexual dysfunction? In this lesson, we'll examine what sex therapy is and how sex therapists help patients with sexual dysfunctions.
8. Paraphilia: Definition and Symptoms Displayed in Fetishism, Transvestism & Exhibitionism Paraphilias
Sexual urges and fantasies are part of the lives of most healthy adults. But, what happens when the urges and fantasies center on a specific object or scenario and cause distress or impairment? In this lesson, we will look at several paraphilias and how they are treated.
9. Characteristics of Voyeurism, Frotteurism & Pedophilia
What happens when someone becomes a peeping Tom? How do you treat people who feel the urge to rub up against nonconsenting people? And how do you treat someone who is attracted to young children? In this lesson we'll explore voyeurism, frotteurism, and pedophilia.
10. Sexual Masochism & Sexual Sadism: The Characteristics of Paraphilias Derived From Pain
Sex is a part of healthy adult relationships. But, what happens when one partner craves pain as well as pleasure? In this lesson, we'll look at sexual masochism and sexual sadism, as well as the non-clinical term sadomasochism.
11. Gender Identity Disorder: Definition and Social Perception of Gender Dysphoria
What happens when someone is born a woman but feels like they should be a man? In this lesson, we'll look closer at gender identity disorder, its symptoms, and changing views on it as a mental disorder.
12. Explaining and Treating Gender Identity Disorder
What causes someone to be transgender? In this lesson, we'll look at the psychological and biological causes of gender identity disorder as well as common treatments for the disorder.
13. The Abel Assessment for Sexual Interest
In this lesson, you will learn what the Abel Assessment for Sexual Interest is and what it evaluates. In addition, you will learn the history and components of this assessment, as well as the controversy surrounding it. Following the lesson is a brief quiz to test your new knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Tutoring Solution
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Assessment: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Stress Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Substance Use Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Psychotic Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Factitious Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution