About This Chapter
Sexual Harassment in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter explain several aspects of sexual harassment in a work environment, such as who can act as a harasser and where sexual harassment can occur. Instructors explain the negative impact of these behaviors on the work environment through lessons on the following topics:
- The definition of sexual harassment
- Locations and events where company is liable for harassment
- Examples of potential sexual harassers
- Workplace sexual harassment statistics
- Consequences of workplace harassment
These video lessons can give your employees a thorough introduction to important sexual harassment issues. Short topical segments help maintain focus on each element of sexual harassment behaviors and policies. The format also allows employees and managers to open a discussion about specific issues. Lesson quizzes ensure that your employees understand the material.
How It Helps
- Increases knowledge: Lessons in this chapter can help employees at all levels recognize what constitutes sexual harassment - regardless of whether it occurs on company property or at a third-party site.
- Encourages compliance: An awareness of the emotional and professional consequences of sexual harassment, not to mention the legal repercussions, can also deter employees from questionable behaviors and help upper-level managers understand their liability for the actions of supervisors working underneath them.
By the end of this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Recognize instances of sexual harassment
- Understand where workplace sexual harassment can occur
- Define possible harassers as outlined by sexual harassment law
- Summarize workplace sexual harassment statistics
- Outline the legal, professional and emotional effects of harassment
1. Sexual Harassment and the Hostile Work Environment
Sexual harassment is a very real and sensitive issue in the workplace. In this lesson, we will discuss sexual harassment, what it means and what it can do to the work environment.
2. Work Locations Where Sexual Harassment Could Occur
Workplace sexual harassment is a serious problem for both employees and their organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what constitutes the 'workplace' for purposes of sexual harassment. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Who Can Be a Sexual Harasser According to the Law?
Workplace sexual harassment can come from all parts of your organization and even from individuals outside your organization. In this lesson, you'll learn who can be a sexual harasser for the purpose of sexual harassment law.
4. Workplace Sexual Harassment Statistics
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is charged with investigating claims of workplace sexual harassment. It collects statistics on its investigations. In this lesson, we'll take a look at workplace sexual harassment statistics collected by the EEOC.
5. Emotional & Professional Effects of Sexual Harassment
Workplace sexual harassment can have many emotional & professional consequences. In this lesson, you'll learn about the effects of sexual harassment for the victims, the organization and for the perpetrator of the sexual harassment. A short quiz follows.
6. The Legal Consequences of Sexual Harassment
Workplace sexual harassment leads to many problems for all involved. In this lesson, you'll learn about the legal consequences of sexual harassment for the organization and for the perpetrator of the sexual harassment. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.