About This Chapter
Sexual Health - Chapter Summary
Refresh your memory on issues dealing with fetal development by trimester as you look over the lessons in this chapter. The three stages of labor are also covered in a lesson, with key terms such as parturition and amniotic fluid indicated with bold print for easy reference in the transcript that comes with each video. Assess your familiarity with these other topics that deal with sexual health while you're checking out the chapter:
- Barrier methods of contraception
- Factors involved with deciding to have kids
- Issues concerning sexual activity during adolescence
- Reducing the risk of STIs
The above-mentioned topics are individually reviewed in engaging video lessons across this refresher chapter. After you complete one of these short videos you can recheck your grasp on any part by going back to main points with the video tags. This chapter also includes a practice quiz that corresponds with each lesson for quick self-assessment.
1. Male Reproductive System: Functions, Organs & Anatomy
Ever wonder what the inside of a male looks like? Find out in this lesson that explores the inner workings of the male reproductive system and the pathway that sperm takes.
2. Female Reproductive System: Internal Anatomy
Ever wonder where a female produces her eggs or how they get from the ovary to the uterus? Find out in this lesson about the internal reproductive anatomy of females.
3. Factors That Influence Sexual Decisions
In this lesson, you will learn about four of the main factors that could influence an individual's sexual decisions. You will learn how alcohol and drugs, the media, peers, and parents all have a significant influence on sexual decision making.
4. Making the Decision to Have Children
In this lesson, I face one of my greatest fears: talking about having kids. We'll look at some points to consider, such as the costs and the way it changes a person's life. In addition, the idea of baby fever is also looked at.
5. Issues Related to Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great changes in a person's life, including many choices regarding sexual activity. Watch this lesson to find out about some of the issues that can come with being sexually active in adolescence.
6. Barrier Methods of Contraceptives: Types, Advantages & Disadvantages
While you are probably all familiar with what a condom is, did you know there are a lot of other options out there for preventing pregnancy? Learn about some of the barrier methods of contraception in this lesson.
7. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Introduction and Birth Control Pills
We have all heard of the birth control pill, right? And many of you women out there probably take some form of birth control. But do you really understand how it works or what the different options are? Learn about the basics of hormonal contraceptives in this lesson.
8. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Patch, Ring, and Implants
Did you know there are many forms of contraception out there, and not just condoms and birth control pills? Learn about some of the other options in this lesson on hormone-based contraceptives.
9. Hormonal Methods of Contraception: Contraceptive Injections and IUDs
Did you know there are some methods of birth control that last up to five years! Or, if that is too long, some that last three months at a time? Learn about these two options in this lesson on contraceptive injections and IUDs.
10. Fetal Development By Trimester: Timeline of Body Systems
This lesson will lay out for you when important body systems start to develop or begin to function as an unborn child develops trimester by trimester.
11. The Three Stages of Labor: Dilation, Expulsion & Placental
You may think of the process of labor and childbirth as one long event, but it is actually divided into different stages. Learn about each of the three stages of labor in this lesson.
12. HIV and AIDs: Definition, Statistics & History
Explore the history and issues around one of the largest and longest pandemics of the world: Human Immunodeficiency Virus. This small retrovirus has created a great many issues in the world and continues to be one of the most difficult to eradicate.
13. Reducing Your Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections
This lesson will describe for you the many ways by which you can help prevent a terrible STD from affecting your body, including abstinence, mutual monogamy, and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Drugs & Substance Abuse
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Overview of the Major Muscle Groups of the Human Body
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology & Fitness for Physical Education
- Motor Skill Development
- Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- Volleyball History & Rules
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Outdoor, Adventure & Cooperative Physical Education
- Dance Concepts & Forms
- Creating Fitness & Exercise Plans
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Motivation in the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication & Collaboration in Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Physical Education Planning & Instruction
- Equitable Physical Education for Diverse Students
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards