About This Chapter
Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740) - Chapter Summary
The engaging and informative lessons in this chapter explain how Eastern European powers shifted throughout a nearly hundred-year period between 1648 and 1740. Our instructors will break down the causes and events that led to the creation of Prussia, the rise of Austria and the Hapsburg Monarchy, the westernization of Russia and the partition of Poland. The chapter also provides useful timelines to help you see how these historical developments and events are connected. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize the characteristics of old empires from the mid-17th century
- Explain Austria's rise and the Hapsburg Monarchy's strengthening
- Summarize the history of Prussia's creation
- Evaluate Russia's westernization and the role of Peter the Great
- Identify the causes of Poland's partition
Our expert history instructors design each lesson to be bite-sized and simple. This way, you can be sure you're studying the most important historical dates, figures and concepts as quickly as possible. The lessons come with self-assessment quizzes to help you solidify your understanding of these historical concepts. You can complete the chapter at your own pace by either taking the chapter in sequence or by jumping to specific topics on your course Dashboard. For your convenience, we've made these study resources accessible on any device that has an Internet connection.
1. Old Empires in the Mid-17th Century: History, Timeline & Characteristics
In this lesson, we discuss the old empires of Central and Eastern Europe in the 17th century: Poland, the Holy Roman Empire, and the Ottoman Empire. In discussing the Holy Roman Empire's decline, we also preview the two states that filled the power vacuum its failure created.
2. The Rise of Austria & Strengthening of the Hapsburg Monarchy
In this lesson, we explore the rise of the Austrian state in the second half of the 17th and first half of the 18th centuries. Austrian expansion and government centralization turned it into one of Europe's foremost powers by 1740.
3. The Creation of Prussia: History & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the creation and rise of the Prussian state during the 17th and early 18th centuries. The keen reforms of the Hohenzollern rulers built Prussia into a fearsome state; one that would later form the backbone of modern Germany.
4. Peter the Great & the Westernization of Russia: Facts & History
In this lesson, we explore the reign of arguably Russia's greatest monarch, Peter the Great. We'll also look at the westernization of Russian life and government that he implemented.
5. The Partition of Poland: History, Timeline & Causes
In this lesson, we explore the 3-part Partition of Poland, where Austria, Russia and Prussia divided Polish territory among themselves in the late 18th century until Poland ceased to exist.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Social Science Subtest I (114): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Social Science Test
- Prehistory & Early Civilizations
- History of the Ancient Near East
- Ancient Asian Political and Philosophical Thought
- Contributions & History of Ancient Greece
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- History of the Dark Ages
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- The Reformation Across Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- Pre-Columbian America
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- Bonaparte & the French Revolution
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Overview of World War I
- History Between World Wars
- Overview of World War II
- Western Civilization Post-1945
- CSET Social Science Subtest 1 Flashcards