About This Chapter
SHSAT Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions - Chapter Summary
This chapter on basic algebraic expressions an help you review what you need to know for algebra questions on the SHSAT. By the end of the chapter, you will have covered the following algebra topics:
- Variables and other parts of algebraic expressions
- Expressing relationships as algebraic equations
- Solving simple algebraic expressions
- Associative, commutative and distributive properties
- Combining like terms and simplifying algebraic expressions
Use the video lessons to review topics you may be rusty on or catch up in areas you may have missed. The timeline tags allow you to easily skip to specific points or topics within a lesson. Test your knowledge with self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam, and contact our instructors with any questions that come up.
SHSAT Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions Chapter Objectives
The SHSAT exam is part of the application process for New York City's specialized high schools, and tests both verbal and math skills. This chapter is designed to help you answer questions in the math portion of the exam. The math section consists of 50 multiple-choice questions, which will be a combination of calculation questions and word problems. You will have two and a half hours to complete both the math and verbal sections of the test.
1. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
4. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
5. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
6. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
7. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SHSAT: Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Comprehension Approaches
- Writing & Editing Written Work
- Practice Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- SHSAT Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SHSAT Math: Divisibility
- SHSAT Math: Number Properties
- SHSAT Math: Number Theory
- SHSAT Math: Factoring
- SHSAT Math: Estimation & Rounding
- SHSAT Math: Whole Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Negative Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Absolute Value
- SHSAT Math: Integers
- SHSAT Math: Rational Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Inequalities
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Decimals
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Percents
- SHSAT Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Algebraic Distribution
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- SHSAT Math: The Coordinate Graph
- SHSAT Math: Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Properties of Functions
- SHSAT Math: Graphing Functions
- SHSAT Math: Solving Word Problems
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- SHSAT Math: Triangles
- SHSAT Math: Quadrilaterals
- SHSAT Math: Circles
- SHSAT Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- SHSAT Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- SHSAT Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- SHSAT Math: Similar Polygons
- SHSAT Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- SHSAT Math: Units of Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Perimeter & Area
- SHSAT Math: Data & Graphs
- SHSAT Math: Probability
- SHSAT Math: Statistics
- SHSAT Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- SHSAT Math: Consumer Math
- SHSAT Math: Number Sequences
- SHSAT Math: Sets & Subsets
- SHSAT Flashcards