About This Chapter
SHSAT Math: Graphing Functions - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons can help you refresh your understanding of graphing functions as you get ready to take the SHSAT Math exam. Use our videos and quizzes to brush up on information related to:
- Graphing functions by plotting points
- Traits of functions
- Finding alopes of lines
- Applying the intercepts of a line
- The point-slope form of the equation of a line
- The distance and the midpoint formulas
- Three main forms of a quadratic equation
- Graphing polynomials
Our lessons offer a variety of methods to help you prepare for the math portion of the SHSAT. You can study anytime, watching short videos and taking quizzes on a computer, smartphone or tablet. Our dashboard feature helps you track your progress. There's even a worksheet with quiz questions that you can print out and review when you don't have access to the Internet.
SHSAT Math: Graphing Functions Chapter Objectives
Taking the SHSAT is part of the application process for New York City's specialized high schools. The SHSAT has a verbal section and a math section. The math section contains 50 multiple-choice questions. They are a mix of computation and word problems that you must solve, and then indicate the correct answer from several options.
Questions on the quizzes that accompany our lessons are similar to the format you'll see on the SHSAT. While the quizzes provide practice answering questions like this, they also offer a chance to assess your knowledge and show you where you need extra review. The answer key on our quizzes link right back to pertinent parts of the lesson, making it easy to review areas where further study is needed.
1. Graph Functions by Plotting Points
Let's say you have a function. What does it look like? How do you graph it? In this lesson, we'll learn how to graph functions by determining and plotting points.
2. Identify Where a Function is Linear, Increasing or Decreasing, Positive or Negative
Functions do all kinds of fun things. In this lesson, learn how to identify traits of functions such as linear or nonlinear, increasing or decreasing and positive or negative.
3. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
4. How to Find and Apply the Intercepts of a Line
How can you take an equation of a line and find out where it will cross the x- or y-axis? In this lesson, we'll define x-intercepts and y-intercepts and learn how to find them.
5. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
6. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
7. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
8. What is a Parabola?
A parabola is the U shape that we get when we graph a quadratic equation. We actually see parabolas all over the place in real life. In this lesson, learn where, and the correct vocab to use when talking about them.
9. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
10. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SHSAT: Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Comprehension Approaches
- Writing & Editing Written Work
- Practice Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- SHSAT Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SHSAT Math: Divisibility
- SHSAT Math: Number Properties
- SHSAT Math: Number Theory
- SHSAT Math: Factoring
- SHSAT Math: Estimation & Rounding
- SHSAT Math: Whole Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Negative Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Absolute Value
- SHSAT Math: Integers
- SHSAT Math: Rational Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Inequalities
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Decimals
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Percents
- SHSAT Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Algebraic Distribution
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- SHSAT Math: The Coordinate Graph
- SHSAT Math: Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Properties of Functions
- SHSAT Math: Solving Word Problems
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- SHSAT Math: Triangles
- SHSAT Math: Quadrilaterals
- SHSAT Math: Circles
- SHSAT Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- SHSAT Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- SHSAT Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- SHSAT Math: Similar Polygons
- SHSAT Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- SHSAT Math: Units of Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Perimeter & Area
- SHSAT Math: Data & Graphs
- SHSAT Math: Probability
- SHSAT Math: Statistics
- SHSAT Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- SHSAT Math: Consumer Math
- SHSAT Math: Number Sequences
- SHSAT Math: Sets & Subsets
- SHSAT Flashcards