About This Chapter
SHSAT Math: Number Properties - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you review number properties to make studying for the math portion of the SHSAT easier. The video lessons provide information that makes sure you're ready to:
- Describe the communicative properties of addition and multiplication
- Define the multiplication property of zero
- Explain the definition and uses of the distributive property
- Showcase an understanding of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division properties of equality
- Exhibit knowledge of the reflexive and transitive properties of equality
You can make reviewing number properties simple by watching the videos in the order of topics you most need to study. You can rewatch videos any time, and as often as you'd like, until you feel confident that you fully understand the lessons.
SHSAT Math: Number Properties Chapter Objectives
The SHSAT Math: Number Properties chapter is designed to help you prepare for related questions on the exam. As you study for the test, you can watch the videos or scroll down to read the full transcript if you'd prefer a written version of the lessons. Self-assessment quizzes are available that let you gauge how well you understand concepts covered in the videos. If you answer any question incorrectly, you can click a link that takes you back to the related topic in the video lesson.
The SHSAT is an exam required for 8th and 9th grade students living in New York City who seek admission to one of eight New York City specialized high schools. The test is composed of a verbal and math section that are each 75 minutes in length. The math section has 50 multiple-choice questions and covers algebra, arithmetic, geometry, word problems, probability, trigonometry (only for 9th graders) and statistics.
1. Commutative Property of Addition: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of addition and what it means when you are adding numbers together. Learn how it can help you solve addition problems faster.
2. Commutative Property of Multiplication: Definition & Examples
In this video lesson, we talk about the commutative property of multiplication. We will see how it works in action and what it means for you when you are solving multiplication problems.
3. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
4. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
5. Addition Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to use the addition property of equality to help you solve problems. In addition, you can learn the formula for this property.
6. Subtraction Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, we look at the subtraction property of equality. Learn how it helps you to solve problems and how it keeps equations the same. Learn what you must do to both sides of an equation.
7. Multiplication Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to use the multiplication property of equality to help you solve problems in math. You will also learn the formula for this property.
8. Division Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, you will learn about the division property of equality, its formula, and how you can use it to help you solve problems where you are looking for an unknown number.
9. Reflexive Property of Equality: Definition & Examples
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the reflexive property of equality. You will learn what the formula for this property looks like and how you can use it to help you solve problems.
10. Transitive Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the transitive property of equality works when you have two equations that are equal to each other. Learn the formula for this property and how you can use it to help you solve problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SHSAT: Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Comprehension Approaches
- Identifying Errors in Writing
- Practice Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- SHSAT Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SHSAT Math: Divisibility
- SHSAT Math: Number Theory
- SHSAT Math: Factoring
- SHSAT Math: Estimation & Rounding
- SHSAT Math: Whole Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Negative Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Absolute Value
- SHSAT Math: Integers
- SHSAT Math: Rational Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Inequalities
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Decimals
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Percents
- SHSAT Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Algebraic Distribution
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- SHSAT Math: The Coordinate Graph
- SHSAT Math: Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Properties of Functions
- SHSAT Math: Graphing Functions
- SHSAT Math: Solving Word Problems
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- SHSAT Math: Triangles
- SHSAT Math: Quadrilaterals
- SHSAT Math: Circles
- SHSAT Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- SHSAT Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- SHSAT Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- SHSAT Math: Similar Polygons
- SHSAT Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- SHSAT Math: Units of Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Perimeter & Area
- SHSAT Math: Data & Graphs
- SHSAT Math: Probability
- SHSAT Math: Statistics
- SHSAT Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- SHSAT Math: Consumer Math
- SHSAT Math: Number Sequences
- SHSAT Math: Sets & Subsets
- SHSAT Flashcards