About This Chapter
SHSAT Math: The Coordinate Graph - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to refresh your understanding of how number lines and graphs work as you prepare for the math portion of the SHSAT. These videos may help you tackle test questions related to:
- Identifying points on a number line
- Adding and subtracting on a number line
- Naming parts of a graph
- Plotting points on a coordinate plane
We provide a variety of ways to help you succeed on the SHSAT. All our lessons are taught by experts in the field, and you can submit questions if you run into a problem. There's a video timeline with links leading back to the lesson and a written transcript with key topics highlighted so you'll understand what's important.
SHSAT Math: The Coordinate Graph Chapter Objectives
Taking the SHSAT is one of the admission steps when applying to New York City's specialized high schools. The test is divided into a verbal section and a mathematics section. There are 50 questions on the math section, all multiple-choice word and computation problems. Our lesson quizzes offer a chance to practice answering questions in this format and also allow you to assess your learning and see where extra review is required.
1. What Is a Number Line?
A number line is a visual representation of all real numbers. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify points on a number line. We'll also practice addition and subtraction, letting the number line do all the hard work.
2. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
3. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SHSAT: Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Comprehension Approaches
- Writing & Editing Written Work
- Practice Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- SHSAT Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SHSAT Math: Divisibility
- SHSAT Math: Number Properties
- SHSAT Math: Number Theory
- SHSAT Math: Factoring
- SHSAT Math: Estimation & Rounding
- SHSAT Math: Whole Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Negative Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Absolute Value
- SHSAT Math: Integers
- SHSAT Math: Rational Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Inequalities
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Decimals
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Percents
- SHSAT Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Algebraic Distribution
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Properties of Functions
- SHSAT Math: Graphing Functions
- SHSAT Math: Solving Word Problems
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- SHSAT Math: Triangles
- SHSAT Math: Quadrilaterals
- SHSAT Math: Circles
- SHSAT Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- SHSAT Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- SHSAT Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- SHSAT Math: Similar Polygons
- SHSAT Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- SHSAT Math: Units of Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Perimeter & Area
- SHSAT Math: Data & Graphs
- SHSAT Math: Probability
- SHSAT Math: Statistics
- SHSAT Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- SHSAT Math: Consumer Math
- SHSAT Math: Number Sequences
- SHSAT Math: Sets & Subsets
- SHSAT Flashcards