About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help understanding the literary context of Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to study the novel's author, setting, vocabulary and summary. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the novel's literary context
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Siddhartha Literary Context chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Siddhartha Literary Context chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the literary context of Siddhartha for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Author Hermann Hesse's life and work
- A summary of the novel
- The book's setting
- Vocabulary used throughout Siddhartha
1. Hermann Hesse: Biography & Books
This lesson will provide an overview of the literary career of Herman Hesse, a Nobel Prize winning author whose vast span of works about the themes of personal realization remain influential to this day.
2. Siddhartha Summary
While some may think that Siddhartha has a great life, the fact that he can't find enlightenment drives him to travel around for decades until he finds it in an unlikely place.
3. Siddhartha Setting
As you might expect from a book with such a unique setting, the circumstances of place and time matter greatly in order to help tell the story of ''Siddhartha''. In this lesson, we look at both of the above as well as the social setting.
4. Siddhartha Vocabulary
In ''Siddhartha'' by Hermann Hesse, the author uses some terminology that may not be familiar to those without a background in Buddhism. In this lesson, we will review some of those terms.
Siddhartha Vocabulary List & Flashcards
In the traditions of India, Siddhartha goes on his life's journey to enlightenment. This flashcard set will help you to learn the meaning behind the vocabulary that peppers Hermann Hesse's great classic: ''Siddhartha''.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.