About This Chapter
Significant Civil War Era Figures - Chapter Summary
This chapter will improve your students' knowledge of significant Civil War era figures. Lessons here discuss the history and achievements of Ulysses S. Grant in the Civil War, Philip Bazaar's biography and his Medal of Honor, and additional lesson topics, such as:
- Confederate President Jefferson Davis
- Civil War facts about General Robert E. Lee
- Accomplishments and assassination of Abraham Lincoln
- Medal of Honor winner William Harvey Carney
Lessons are both text and videos, each with its own short quiz to take for assessment of comprehension of the subject matter covered. We include a feature that allows submitting questions directly to a Study.com expert.
1. Jefferson Davis, Confederate President: History & Facts
In this lesson, learn about Jefferson Davis, the first and only president of the Confederate States of America (1861-1865). Before the Civil War, he was a U.S. Senator from Mississippi and secretary of war under Franklin Pierce.
2. Ulysses S. Grant in the Civil War: Facts, History & Achievements
Ulysses S. Grant was a Union general in the American Civil War. Due to his victories in the Western Theater in 1862 and 1863, he was promoted to command all Union armies in 1864. He was also the 18th U.S. president from 1869-1877.
3. Who Was General Robert E. Lee? - History & Civil War Facts
Robert E. Lee (1807-1870) commanded the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia for three years during the American Civil War. He achieved several stunning victories and is remembered as one of the great generals in American history.
4. Abraham Lincoln: Presidency, Accomplishments & Assassination
In this lesson, we will meet Abraham Lincoln, the Illinois rail-splitter and general store owner who eventually became the sixteenth president of the United States.
5. William Harvey Carney: Biography & Medal of Honor
This lesson will discuss the Congressional Medal of Honor recipient William Harvey Carney, a veteran of the Civil War and the first African American to be awarded the Medal of Honor.
6. Philip Bazaar: Biography & Medal of Honor
Philip Bazaar was a Chilean immigrant who joined the Union Navy during the Civil War and received the Medal of Honor for his valor carrying dispatches under heavy fire.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Social Studies - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- European Exploration & Colonization in America
- The Revolutionary Era
- Important People of the Revolutionary War
- Early American Government
- Jacksonian America
- Westward Expansion in America
- Sectionalism in the U.S.
- The American Civil War Era
- Famous Addresses of the American Civil War
- The Reconstruction Era After the American Civil War
- American Geography Overview
- History of American Immigration
- Defining American Culture
- History of American Arts
- Principles of American Government
- Origin of Self-Government
- U.S. Supreme Court Cases & Decisions
- American Citizenship Overview
- American Political Parties & Interest Groups
- American Leadership & Contributions
- History of American Economics
- Impact of Science & Technology on American Society
- Social Studies Skills
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Social Studies - Grade 8 Flashcards