About This Chapter
Simplifying Algebraic Fractions - Chapter Summary
If you need to refresh your knowledge and skills in simplifying algebraic fractions, our video lessons in this chapter can help. Instructors explain how to create fractions and reduce them using greatest common factors. You'll also review how to order fractions as well as how to compare them to whole numbers and decimals. The short lessons cover problem-solving with fractions and mixed numbers as well. Once you've studied the chapter's videos, you should also be prepared to:
- Find least common denominators
- Convert between improper fractions and mixed numbers
- Add and subtract mixed numbers and like fractions
- Add and subtract mixed numbers and unlike fractions
- Multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers
- Estimate fractions to solve problems
- Solve complex fractions
- Use whole numbers to simplify word problems with fractions
With our video lessons, we make strengthening your math skills a fun and convenient learning activity. Professional instructors use step-by-step examples and visuals to help you grasp the rules of working with fractions. Along with the videos, lessons include transcripts that highlight key terms. The self-assessment lesson quizzes are in a multiple-choice format and are a quick way to gauge your understanding of the chapter topics.
1. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
2. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
3. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
4. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
5. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
6. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
7. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
8. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
9. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
10. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
11. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
12. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
13. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
14. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations
- Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques
- Interpreting Visual Displays of Data
- Basic Geometry Calculations
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Flashcards