About This Chapter
Simplifying Whole Number Expressions - Chapter Summary
Take full advantage of the chapter's video lessons that help reinforce the concept of simplification. The short videos will keep your students smiling as they watch how to simplify addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division expressions as well as expressions with parentheses and exponents in light-hearted everyday examples. There are also multiple-choice quizzes you can use to determine your students' understanding, and a final chapter exam can conclude your lesson.
Chapter Lessons and Objectives
|How to Simplify an Addition Expression||Students learn to use the order of operations to simplify addition expressions.|
|How to Simplify a Subtraction Expression||Teachers show how to simplify subtraction expressions.|
|How to Simplify a Multiplication Expression||In this lesson, students practice simplifying multiplication expressions.|
|How to Simplify a Division Expression||Students learn to simplify division expressions.|
|How to Simplify an Expression with Parentheses and Exponents||Students practice simplifying expressions where parentheses and exponents are used.|
1. How to Simplify an Addition Expression
Learn how to simplify and combine like terms in any algebraic expression that uses addition with this lesson. Also learn how to follow the order of operations when simplifying your expression.
2. How to Simplify a Subtraction Expression
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify any subtraction expression by combining like terms. Learn what to look for and how easy this is to do.
3. How to Simplify a Multiplication Expression
In this video lesson, you will learn how to simplify a multiplication expression that has both numbers and variables in it. Learn what you need to watch for and how to write your simplified expression.
4. How to Simplify a Division Expression
Watch this video lesson to learn how to simplify a division problem that has both numbers and letters in it. See what you need to do to get the correct answer. Also, learn what you can do to make your job easier.
5. How to Simplify an Expression with Parentheses & Exponents
Watch this video lesson to learn how important it is to follow the order of operations. Learn what to do when you see parentheses and exponents in your math problems.
Earning College Credit
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Other chapters within the 3rd-5th Grade Math: Practice & Review course
- Number Sense & Arithmetic
- Number Properties
- Estimation & Rounding
- Steps for Solving Math Word Problems
- Multiples of Whole Numbers
- Multiplication Skills Practice
- Division Skills Practice
- Understanding Algebraic Expressions
- Data & Graphs
- Probability & Statistics
- Units of Measurement
- Working with Geometric Figures
- Identifying Triangles
- Circle Types & Parts
- How to Measure Perimeter, Area & Volume
- Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- Identifying & Working with Fractions
- Operations with Fractions
- Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying & Dividing Decimals
- Operations with Decimals
- Mixed Operations
- The Coordinate Graph
- How to Graph a Function
- Number Theory & Prime Factorization
- Rates, Ratios & Proportions