About This Chapter
Skeletal System Overview - Chapter Summary
During the process of going through these lessons, you will deepen your knowledge of the skeletal system. You will get a better understanding of two different types of skeletons. This interactive chapter can also assist you with understanding joint structures. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- List the functions and parts of the axial skeleton
- Discuss the parts of the skeleton responsible for movement
- Explain the motion allowed by different types of joints
These lessons can assist you with quickly getting up to speed on the skeletal system. Vocabulary words are highlighted in bold for quick reference. You can use the Help feature to submit questions to instructors if you get stuck on a topic. Each lesson includes a full written transcript that you can print and use as a study guide.
1. Axial Skeleton: Functions and Anatomy
Did you know you have two skeletons? Okay, maybe not two full skeletons, but you have two different types of skeletons: the axial and the appendicular skeletons. Learn about the functions and parts of the axial skeleton in this lesson.
2. Appendicular Skeleton: Functions and Anatomy
Without your skeleton, what would you be? Pretty much just a lump of muscle and tissue, right? Learn about the parts of the skeleton responsible for movement in this lesson on the appendicular skeleton.
3. Types of Joints & Joint Structures in the Body
Joints allow you to walk, run, turn your head, and tie your shoes, among many other things. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of joints and about the motion allowed by each type.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Basic Genetics Concepts
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Plant Pollination & Fertilization
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Structure & Function of Skin
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Pathogenic Diseases in India
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Types & Impact of Pollution
- Waste Generation & Management
- ICSE Biology Flashcards