About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Sleep & Other States of Consciousness chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Introduction to states of consciousness||Consciousness, unconscious mind, deliberate behaviors, automatic behaviors|
|Tuesday||Sleeping and dreaming||Biological rhythm, circadian rhythm, the five sleep stages, REM, activation-synthesis theory, dream interpretation, psychoanalytic theory|
|Wednesday||Sleep disorders||Sleep issues, acute insomnia, chronic insomnia, parasomnias, sudden infant death syndrome|
|Thursday||Hypnosis and meditation||Meditation, altered consciousness, alpha and theta brainwaves, suggestion, Freud|
|Friday||Psychoactive drugs||Stimulants, depressants, hallucinogens, narcotics, tolerance, addiction, withdrawal|
1. States of Consciousness, Self-Awareness & the Unconscious Mind
Consciousness is your awareness of how and why you react to your surroundings. As you watch this video, you may realize that you pass through multiple states of consciousness during any given day.
2. What is the Sleep Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Disorders
What happens when you sleep? Why are dreams typically more intense as morning approaches? This lesson will guide you through the stages of the sleep cycle that make up a full night's rest.
3. Why Do We Sleep and Dream?
The exact functions of sleeping and dreaming are unknown, but psychologists have attempted to interpret what happens and why when we sleep. In this lesson, you'll explore the importance of sleep and some of the more famous theories regarding why we dream.
4. Sleep Disorders: Types & Causes
Sleep is essential for mental and physical health. But what happens when there's a problem with your sleep? In this lesson, we'll examine some common sleep disorders, including insomnia, narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and parasomnia.
5. Altered States of Consciousness: Meditation & Hypnosis
How can you reach an altered state of consciousness without drugs? Meditation and hypnosis are two techniques that can promote a relaxed state of mind. Watch this video to learn the difference between the two and their possible effects.
6. What are Psychoactive Drugs? - Definition, Types & Uses
How do psychoactive drugs alter cognitive states? In this lesson, you'll learn how these chemical compounds affect neurotransmitter functions as well as explore some factors that can affect the outcomes of drug use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- History of Psychology Lesson Plans
- Research Methods in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Data Collection in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sampling in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Measurement in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Statistics in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Evaluating Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Biological Bases of Behavior Lesson Plans
- Sensation & Perception Lesson Plans
- Motivation & Needs Lesson Plans
- Emotion in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life Span Developmental Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories for Life Span Development Lesson Plans
- Biological Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sensory & Perceptual Development Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Development Lesson Plans
- Physical Development & Psychology Lesson Plans
- Social Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Development & Theories Lesson Plans
- Learning & Conditioning in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Memory & Cognition in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Intelligence Testing in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Basics of Social Psychology Lesson Plans
- Basics of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Abnormal Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment of Psychological Disorders Lesson Plans
- Legal & Ethical Issues in Psychology Lesson Plans