About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our AP Psychology Homeschool course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about sleep and other states of consciousness. There is no faster or easier way to learn about sleep and states of consciousness. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about the sleep cycle or disorders, dreams, hypnosis, meditation and psychoactive drugs.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need an AP psychology curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and the Sleep and States of Consciousness unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Sleep and States of Consciousness Unit Objectives:
- Learn about the various parts of the sleep cycle.
- Explore why we sleep and dream.
- Explain the various types of sleep disorders and their causes.
- Discuss the act of reaching a different state of mind through hypnosis and meditation.
- Identify the four main types of psychoactive drugs that can alter cognitive states.
1. States of Consciousness, Self-Awareness & the Unconscious Mind
Consciousness is your awareness of how and why you react to your surroundings. As you watch this video, you may realize that you pass through multiple states of consciousness during any given day.
2. What is the Sleep Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Disorders
What happens when you sleep? Why are dreams typically more intense as morning approaches? This lesson will guide you through the stages of the sleep cycle that make up a full night's rest.
3. Why Do We Sleep and Dream?
The exact functions of sleeping and dreaming are unknown, but psychologists have attempted to interpret what happens and why when we sleep. In this lesson, you'll explore the importance of sleep and some of the more famous theories regarding why we dream.
4. Sleep Disorders: Types & Causes
Sleep is essential for mental and physical health. But what happens when there's a problem with your sleep? In this lesson, we'll examine some common sleep disorders, including insomnia, narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and parasomnia.
5. Altered States of Consciousness: Meditation & Hypnosis
How can you reach an altered state of consciousness without drugs? Meditation and hypnosis are two techniques that can promote a relaxed state of mind. Watch this video to learn the difference between the two and their possible effects.
6. What are Psychoactive Drugs? - Definition, Types & Uses
How do psychoactive drugs alter cognitive states? In this lesson, you'll learn how these chemical compounds affect neurotransmitter functions as well as explore some factors that can affect the outcomes of drug use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Psychology: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Development of Modern Psychology: Homeschool Curriculum
- Psychology Research Methods: Homeschool Curriculum
- Intelligence Testing: Homeschool Curriculum
- Biology in Psychology: Homeschool Curriculum
- Sensation & Perception: Homeschool Curriculum
- Learning & Conditioning: Homeschool Curriculum
- Memory & Cognition: Homeschool Curriculum
- Emotion & Motivation: Homeschool Curriculum
- Childhood Development: Homeschool Curriculum
- Personality Development Theories: Homeschool Curriculum
- Social Psychology: Homeschool Curriculum
- Abnormal Psychology: Homeschool Curriculum
- Treatment Methods for Disorders: Homeschool Curriculum
- AP Psychology - Test Strategy: Homeschool Curriculum