About This Chapter
Slope & Rate of Change - Chapter Summary
These lessons will boost your students' understanding of slope and rate of change. They'll get to know the applications of the slope of a line, interpretation of a linear model's slope and intercept. They can study other lesson topics such as:
- Definition and formulas of slope
- Definition and concept of slope triangle
- Finding the slope of a line
- The rate of change of a slope
- Use of similar triangles to understand slope
- Use of graphs and tables to approximate rate of change
Lessons are short, engaging text and videos and each comes with a quiz students can take to check their understanding of the material presented. We include a video transcript and keyword-base video timeline tool to make it easy to locate any specific video content students want to replay.
1. What is Slope? - Definition & Formulas
The slope is a measure of the steepness of a line, or a section of a line, connecting two points. In this lesson, you will use several different formulas for slope and learn how those formulas relate to the steepness of a line.
2. Slope Triangle: Definition & Concept
In this lesson, you will learn about slope triangles, a kind of triangle that helps you easily find the slope of a line or line segment. Often, these are imaginary triangles sketched between two points.
3. Interpreting the Slope & Intercept of a Linear Model
You've probably seen slope and intercept in algebra. These concepts can also be used to predict and understand information in statistics. Take a look at this lesson!
4. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
5. Slopes and Rate of Change
If you throw a ball straight up, there will be a point when it stops moving for an instant before coming back down. Consider this as we study the rate of change of human cannonballs in this lesson.
6. Understanding Slope Using Similar Triangles
Slope is a very important concept throughout mathematics. It is found in algebra, calculus and it also can be found in geometry with similar triangles drawn on to the xy coordinate grid. This lesson will show how similar triangles can be used to determine the slope of a line.
7. Approximating Rate of Change From Graphs & Tables
This lesson is to help you approximate the rate of change of a function from a graph or a table. You will look at some real-life examples and approximate the rate of change related to a specific situation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Mathematics - Grade 8: Test Prep & Practice course
- Mathematical Problem Solving
- Numerical Representations - Numbers & Operations
- Functions & Proportionality
- Angles & Triangles
- Geometric Transformations
- Geometric Expressions, Equations & Relationships
- Bivariate Data
- Personal Financial Literacy
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Mathematics - Grade 8 Flashcards